1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC builder

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by gotisos, Nov 9, 2003.

1. gotisos

gotisos Guest

Hey what's up, I have a custom built htpc with nothing really fancy, msi 4200ti, dvd-rom ect. I just started starting building it as a little home theater box, because dvd players sucks, an I would much rather have a box that can play all formats, no problem. I am thinking of turning my htpc into a MAME arcade box along with a whole lot of other roms roms roms roms roms roms roms........... he he he. These things are the shizzle, and they are going down in price. as soon as the 16x dvd-r drives come out i am going to throw one of those in, along with a 160 gig hd, and fill that hd with dvd's baby, portable burner box!!!! Htpc are much more than just theater pcs, they are a desktops on the go, because laptops are lame.

2. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

why not connect you PC to a projector and surround sound kit? imagine that WOW!!

and insatlla DVB card into your PC you can also pause live TV!

3. gotisos

gotisos Guest

man I'm broke, or else I would throw a 8000xt aiw in that thing and make it my own hdtv box, connected to a plasma projector, or tv. Right now I got it connected to a tv nothing big. I just got a 160 gig maxtor for it, so I'm going to start decrypting asap. It's just an |rc box at the moment, but I may decide to unleash this thing on DCC.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. You mean 9800XT right?
    2. Plasma projector???? (BTW you can get theater grade projectors really cheap, look around universities, they are always getting rid of them -- got me two for $150 apiece).

5. gotisos

gotisos Guest

yeah 9800 duh, i'm still stuck on the 8500 series, really $150 I live right by a college, maybe i'll check that out. as for plasma projectors, i can still dream right

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well if you are dreaming plasma projctors, also dream up some protection suits, plasma can get pretty hot, especially if you're projecting it all over the room :p