1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

htpc video card

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by swannman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. swannman

swannman Member

I am looking to get a video card that will perform well with blu ray and also has the capability to record and playback tv shows. I see that there is a card called All in One Wonder that does this but I am unsure which to get and if they will give me everything i need. Thanks. I am also using XBMC on my system and was wondering what is the best file format to use. I am looking to save space by compressing the video files but also do not want to lose and video quality. I currently use dvdfab which uses video_ts file. Is there anything better?

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

It's best to get a seperate video card and tuner card. I've used the all-in wonders before but they are software encoders. Not the best to use in mediatv software.
    For HD output the least expensive card is the radeon hd4350(cost 40.00) it's designed especially for HTPC and has no fan.
    For tuner card you can get a hvr1600, it's a tuner card with "hardware mpeg encoders". These work great with most of the mediatv software.
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php#13