1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

huge massive ads in v4

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by wabashman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

so now that its been switched over, is this massive annoying ad that you get in every topic going to stay? the small ads werent that big of a deal bc you could simply skip them or hide them with firefox and ad block plus. however, with the new ones, FF+ABP just leaves this massive empty white space which is very annoying.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't get the massive ads, but "we have also speeded up things considerably" is wishful thinking.
    It was getting slower, now it's 'orrible.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Page load times have halved since the update. And the ad sizes are _exactly_ the same as they used to be with the previous version (728x90 aka the standard leaderboard that everybody uses, 160x600 aka the skyscraper that has been used on our site since 2000 and 300x250, the standard box unit, used by 90% of the websites nowadays).

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't experience larger white space left by ABP, come to think of it though, the space above the last post on a page looks a bit bigger now you mention it, i'll mess with ABP to see if it just needs tweaking

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. wabashman

wabashman Active member

i get a white space about the size of my fist.

[​IMG]

with the non v4 it would just completely cut out the ads and go from one post the next.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. creaky

Yeah that's what i see too, hadn't noticed it before you mentioned it, i can't get around it via ABP.

7. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea i cant either....and half the time i think its the end of the thread when its not.

8. creaky

Ditto.

9. scum101

scum101 Guest

Too much java for my liking .. I'm not keen on java loaded pages.. shows shaky coding skills to me as there are way better ways to achieve the same thing with html and not that horrid security risk java. The thing I notice that REALLY causes pages to load slow is all that garbage at the bottom of the page.. arsebook and that pointless twit thing .. yeah.. right..

I don't mind the ads so much but bloody twitter.. no thanks..

10. wabashman

wabashman Active member

that and there's no 'forum tree' at the bottom of the page as there was in v3. so you have to scroll all the way back up to get back to the previous forum, or hit the back page twice.

11. creaky

Yeah it'd be nice to have a simple button to click to get back to the top of the page

12. wabashman

wabashman Active member

still hitting 2 buttons then. thats why i like the tree at the button, one click and i was back in the main forum.

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I could not even read that last comment because of an ad...this happens a lot, and not just with HP printer advertising, and not just with the square ads...this also happens a lot with top and side banner ads.

[​IMG]