1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge problem with my PC.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Megtron, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Megtron

Megtron Member

It will not boo up. Everything powers up fine, but the BIOS beeps 1 long beep, and 2 short ones, and a red light flashes on my video card. Nothing loads on the monitor. What could be wrong? The motherboard is an ASUS A8N SLI, the video card is an Radeon x1800, and the power supply is 550W.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

sounds like an over clock gone bad. have you been over clocking or messing in the bios. you will need to reset the cmos. if you have the manual for your motherboard look through it and you will find out how to reset it.

3. Megtron

Megtron Member

I've never tried to overclock anything.

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok. well you will still need to reset you cmos. you can either find the reset switch on the motherboard or take out the motherboard battery for a minute.

5. Megtron

Megtron Member

I reset the CMOS and the problem is still there.

6. Megtron

Megtron Member

Could the video card be the problem?

7. dvdj

dvdj Member

It could be that the ram is not being read if you added ram or been in there tinkering you could have bumped it or it might have just went bad=various reasons although im not sure of the tone sequence
    for this just a thought.

8. Megtron

Megtron Member

Every other thread I've seen says it is a video card problem. It was working fine for over a year, so how can I fix it?

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

You could try switching out the video card to see if that is the problem

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  10. Megtron

Megtron Member

Problem is, this is the only PCI-e card I have.

11. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Do you have any onboard graphics - if so remove the graphics card and it will use the on board. This will although you to see if the card is faulty.

12. Megtron

Megtron Member

No I don't. How can I fix the faulty card?

13. gracem

gracem Member

try booting the pc with a small linux distro and see what happens , you can get them at a good book shop in a linux magizine for very little or free from ubuntu. if it boots you can see the details and it will tell you where the problem is

14. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

If you are getting beeps from your pc it is due to a fail within the POST. The reason it beeps is to give you an indication of what the fault is, rather than guessing (which some people in this thread are doing).

Consult your motherboard manual (if you don't have one search google and I guarantee you will get either a pdf version or a support section for your motherboard) where you will be able to tell what the beeps mean, and which course of action to take to resolve it!

Just to let you know, your motherboard uses the Award BIOS, and this page will tell you what the error is.

As you can see the error points to the graphics card, and being this is the only card you have, and the M/B does not have onboard video, you will have to try another card (either bought or borrowed).

You can always try the usuall, checking the card is saeted correctly, all cables (if using an extra PSU connector etc) are in fully and not fallen out.

Since the BIOS is reporting that there is a display error, and that it cant use the display to show you what error it is, you are stuck with the only choice of swapping the card.

Using a Linux distro won't help. Not when the PC won't pass the POST stage to even boot an O/S.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  15. Megtron

Megtron Member

Thanks, I'll try swapping it then. One question, will I have driver problems trying to boot up the computer with an Nvidia card if my card is from ATI?

16. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

No,

as you boot using the new card, Windows will detect its a different card and load the bog standard SVGA graphics card drivers for it, so you can use it to remove the old graphics drivers, then install your new ones. I'd recommend rebooting inbetween removing the old and installing the new.

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

id also recomend going into safe mode to uninstall and install the drivers.