1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hyperthreading chips

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jorge2332, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jorge2332

jorge2332 Member

Is hyperthreading necessary for multi tasking? Such as recording a dvd movie and doing other projects on the pc?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Hyper-threading is only utilized for programs that can enable hyper-threading, which basically splits the P4 processor in half, so it can do fast multi-tasking. If you don't have appz that use it, its useless. But for recording DVDs and editing video you don't need to hyper-thread, as long as you have a fast enough system.

3. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

what would be some appz that would put the ht to use?

4. jorge2332

jorge2332 Member

Thanks dj scoop for your reply to my question. I am trying to research alot of new hardware to build a nice pc for my multi-tasking projects. I'm mainly trying to find out about the pro's & con's about it. My current pc needs major upgrades such as a new mother-board and I was trying to see which is the fastest and best processor out there. In-case if anybody is reading this forum and have already encounter this question in the past, please reply with tips of how you build your pc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5. FartDude

FartDude Guest

well jorge2332 if ya dont wanna spend a fourtune, some of intels cheaper processers have HT built in, even though it dosent say it on the box its there my little celeron has the ability too support HT

6. FartDude

FartDude Guest

oh sorry i meant my old celeron

7. jorge2332

jorge2332 Member

I have heard the support of the HD in the celeron chips but could never confirm it. What do you suggest for a good mother-board and ofcourse I dont want to spent a fortune.

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  9. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Well as u can see i use a MSI P8 which ran me about 150.00 not a bad mother board great for overclocking

10. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

djscoop, When you say HT basically splts the p4 in half what do you mean? I just got a p4 with HT and i use a MSI board and use a program that came with the motherboard called InfoView (its like system info) and when i select the CPU info it says i have two processor is that what you mean?

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I didn't explain it very well. It doesn't really split it in half and make 2 processors, it just enables multiple threads from a program to be running through the processor, as opposed to one thread. Here's intels' explaination:
    http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/

Like I said though, you need software that enables multi-threading, and I have no clue what programs do, since I have an AMD.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it's not so much the programs but as the # of programs running at once for both intel & amd. it is like a human that is doing more than 1 thing at a time

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

which is tough sometimes...I still can't rub my belly and pat my head at the same time...

14. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I get it now i just read that link ;-)