1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by microfox, Aug 30, 2007.

1. microfox

microfox Member

Hi

First post on this forum.

I have this P4, 3.2GHz HT PC at home with 1Gb of RAM. To convert an 700 Mb.avi file to .mpg2 or to some other format, it takes about 6-7 hours.

How long would it take to convert the same file with a with a Core 2 Duo, 2GHz PC and 2 Gb of RAM ? Or even better, with a Quad 6600 with 2 Gb of RAM?

In all three scenarios, no other task is/would be performed at the same time.

Thanks for your time

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

uhh, proabably about half the time with a C2d, and half the time of that with a quad processor.

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

You might have some software problems.
    I have a semprom 3000 with 512 mb ram. I can convert a 700mb AVI file to DVD or mpeg2 in 45 minutes, start to finish.
    I use Winavi video converter to do all my conversions.
    As far as a faster computer, I have a intel coreduo 6300 (lower tier coreduo processor) , and it takes the same 45 minutes to convert AVI to DVD or mpeg2. But a coreduo will definitely make a difference when you convert DVD/mpeg to AVI, it is literally twice as fast(even the base 6300 model).
    Your P4 3200 is definitely fast enough (faster than a semprom 3000) you shouldn't be spending more than an hour to convert avi to mpeg2.
    It might be cheaper to just try out different video converting software.
    Only upgrade your computer if you are going to do alot of dvd to AVI coversions.