1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am going crazy here! what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nyblue_71, Nov 5, 2004.

1. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Ok,I am losing my patience here. I am a newbie to dvd burning. I researched it to death and read all of the guids.hres my dilema, I currently run dvd decrypter alogn with dvd shrink to burn my movies. I backed up 2 of my movies with no problems. I rented 2 movies and tried to burn them and have already thrown out 5 dvd-r's. Is there some kind of wacky code on rentals? I ran a log from decrypter and no errors. Also used dvd shrink and got a dvd-r with al lthe iso,vbo,etc files on it .I opened the files on my computer from the dvd-r but it cannot play on a standard dvd player.

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds somewhat like the use of poor quality media for recording - what brand of media are you burning to?

There are no additional coding on rentals though they can often be damaged/finicky due to prolonged use.

Do your burnt movies play OK on your computer?

Is the problem on your standalone only?

Are you using labels on your burnt movies?

Some more info re your operating system, free harddisk space and process you are using to burn would be useful.

3. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks for your reply. I am using fuji dvd-r media,my burnt movies play ok on the computer. My stand alone has no problems,have a sony dvd player and it played the first 2 movies I burnt .I am not using any labels on my burnt movies. My operating system is windows xp and I have a ton if free space on my hard drive.I used 2 different processes while burning. First i used dvd decrypter then created I think it's called a vso file and then I used dvd shrink after that. I also used dvd shrink by itself,no results either. Whats boggling to me is that why did I HAVE no problems burning my original dvd's? I just cannot burn my rentals. Very strange. Whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I thought burning would be easy as 123. Seems like theres an endless stream of info on burning. My head hurts! lol

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi nyblue_71, Lets go through this and see if you missed anything. Shrink rips, decrypts and compresses if necessary but can't burn back. So I assume you are using Decrypter as the burn engine. Go into the Shrink settings and check the box to auto burn with Decrypter. Once that is done, Shrink will do its job, then Decrypter will auto start and finish burning the disc without you having to do anything more. You can also check a box in the same area to burn with NERO if you have that program. Same process, Shrink will rip, decrypt and compress, then Nero will auto start to burn and finish. Its your choice. If you are confused, check the guides off the guide tab at the page top for more informaiton. Should be a guide for Shrink with Decrypter and one for Shrink with Nero. Hope this helps. If you have a RW dvd blank, use it until you get the bugs out of your process. That will save you wasting blanks.

Jerry

5. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks alot. I am not home now so will have to try your reccomendations when I get home. I do not have nero though. I have roxio 7 and I tried burning with that program,it wont allow me to. I appreciate your response.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Roxio software isn't the best choice for dvd backups. Most members have trouble with it so they end up removing it and trying the full working trial version of Nero Ultra which can be downloaded. Since you have Decrypter it will burn properly with Shrink as I stated. I haven't looked lately but if I remember, there is a box to check for Nero but if you uncheck it it will burn with Decrypter. If set up properly there shouldn't be any mistakes or errors. Good luck and get back to us if you still havr problems. Someone will jump in to help if I'm off line.

Jerry

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

nyblue_71,

Roxio is a very selfish app and is known to cause problems with other DVD software, especially Nero. In fact it's hard to remove all remnants with just your add/remove programs in the control panel. Remove it completely using this tool:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Use RW's til you get your problem solved then burn with R's. Saves on coasters. Let us know what happens.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  8. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks to everyone for their help. This is a very informative forum and am pleasantly surprsied at all the help I am getting. I am not use to friendly people, I am a nyer! lol Anyway, because I am at work so much I havnt had the time to try everyones suggestions. However,as soon as I get the chance I will try everything and get back to you guys to let you know what happened. Why does everyone say roxio 7 is so bad? I had roxio 6 and yes that was horrible. Cnet had roxio 7 rated as one of the best software out there along with nero.I havnt had much time to use roxio 7,but I am looking for software that will let me make picture slide shows, edit my video from my dvd camcorder and burn it on to dvd's, make music cd's,etc. An all in one type of software. Thanks again everyone!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

nyblue,

The fact that the vast majority of this forum and probably most of the other forums choose Nero over Roxio outta tell you something. I wasn't kidding about Roxio causing conflict with other DVD software, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what is causing you problems now (altho I'm not saying that's what it is, too many factors involved;PC setup, operator error, etc,). It doesn't have to do it all at once either, but over time.

If I could only have one software and that was it, It would be Nero Ultra 6. It has DVD backup, File converter, menu authoring, two burning engines(rom and express)CD & DVD cover design, toolkit, PC backup, all your audio needs, DVD software player, media player,and a host of other audio and video applications.

It will do all that you are seeking, that is,"will let me make picture slide shows, edit my video from my dvd camcorder and burn it on to dvd's, make music cd's,etc. An all in one type of software." to quote :>)

As Jerry stated, You can download it for free and also use it every month for free until you decide to buy, it must be reloaded at the end of every month, then it's good for that entire month. Check it out before you buy, but you need to remove Roxio first.

Also, do not download pack #3, InCD, it is packet writing software and it too has been known to cause problems with other DVD software. **unless you really have need for packet writing software;>)

Then with Nero Ultra 6, add Shrink 3.2 and Decrypter(both are free) you will have everything you need to handle your video and audio needs.

Here is the links to a simple, easy to follow, shrink 3.2 guide I wrote using Nero or decrypter and a very good interactive guide ddlooping wrote that should have you on your way to backing up a DVD.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Shrink;action=display;num=1094746394

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

I would also add if you have any problems using Nero, let us know, I am very familiar with it, especially NVE (NeroVisionExpress) which is what you will need for your slideshows and your camcorder files. It will allow you to set chapters and create a custom menu with a handy import feature for custom backgrounds, buttons, etc.

BTW, in answer to your original question,Is there some kind of wacky code on rentals? None that "I" know of :>)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  10. andy248

andy248 Member

ny blue 71

why not try clonedvd programme and u need anydvd with it it will copy and original film wot ever the region and u can take out the menus the special features and just have the film on there i have used it for a while now and i have never had 1 complaint or the other way is nero recode but u need the nero vision express i trie it the other day on an original and it worked and it worked in my dvd player also hope that helps u out

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]the other way is Nero recode but u need the Nero vision express[/bold]

Andy, let's clarify a little so as not to confuse nyblue or anyone else. You do NOT need NVE with Nero Recode to make DVD backups.

In fact Recode works almost exactly like Shrink, if you can run one then you can run the other.

Recode will do anything Shrink or Clone DVD does except rip. All three will edit, re-author, and compress. Shrink rips, but can't burn. Clone DVD and Recode burn but can't rip.

In other words all 3 apps need another app to complete the process, But Nero Recode does NOT use NVE to backup a DVD.

As far as AnyDvd goes, it is an excellent program, but if one doesn't wish to spend the money you can always rip to the hard drive using Decrypter(also free)and then use those files with any of the aforementioned programs.

AnyDvd can be used as an "on the fly" tool, which means you don't have to write to the hard drive 1st, you can make a backup from the source DVD itself running in the DVD-ROM drive.

It is also excellent as an aid to other rippers to help get around CSS protection and also region compatibility. It also has a new feature to help with hard copy read errors, an old method, but fairly new in DVD's to prevent backup.

I hope this hasn't confused anyone all the more :>)

12. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE WAS A HUGE HELP! I AM NOW BURNING MOVIES VERY WELL THANKS TO EVERYONE. From now on I will be using dvd shrink with nero. Nero works beautifully with dvd shrink. I concur also on everyones opinion on roxio,it sucks! I also burned a movie in record time ,about 40 minutes!!!!! I used my plextor 712-uf burner with a DVD+R 8X. Amazing speed with no errors. I only had that one media becsuse it came with my burner.I used a fuji dvd-r 2x and the speed was slowed down. I ordered the ridata for now at everyones sugestions. I would be lost without you guys! It did take alot of reading and trial and error on my part,but never gave up!!!!!!!!!!

13. andy248

andy248 Member

yes you are write any dvd and clone dvd are greay programmes but you dont have to buy them i got them from www.winmx.com for free and i have them both on disc

14. andy248

andy248 Member

yes you are write any dvd and clone dvd are greay programmes but you dont have to buy them i got them from www.winmx.com for free and i have them both on disc

15. andy248

andy248 Member

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

nyblue, congrats,

one thing tho, I wouldn't burn over 4x if I were you, 8x increases chance for error. You may not have had problems this time but it doesn't mean you can't in the future. As you have found out DVD's are different.

BTW, excellent burner! :>)