1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am lazy and want an app that can do the work for me

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Sickley, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

yes, i am very lazy when it comes to certain things on pc. thats why i have the programs that i do.

i am currently looking for a program that will help me with updates/patches for my games and/or programs. i realize that most new games and programs have updating built in, but i use a lot of "oldies but goodies".

basically a program that will either give me a list of which games/programs have new patches/updates or will automatically download the latest update/patch

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

I'd love to help, but really this wouldn't be worth the time it would take to program. You see, most of these older games and programs have no need to be patched any more... At least not with official patches...

Typically these "Oldies but goodies" have been patched and updated to perfection after about a year and a half. So if you're playing old games or running old programs, you're not really going to find updates for them anymore. Its a pretty safe bet that Microsoft is not wasting their time making new updates for Windows 98...

So while there are many people capable of programing this application for you, the fact is you may only ever get to use it twice before you have no more updates left.

If you REALLY REALLY want someone to go through this effort for you, I'm sure for the right price someone would make it. But they'd need a list of the games you're wanting to monitor for updates.

3. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

true, but still usefull for some of the fairly new ones that don't have an internal updater.

besides i don't want anyone to waste time making this, im not sure many people would use it

edit:i was mainly curious if anyone had run across such a program

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  4. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

5. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

That should be intresting to hear about.

6. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

sorry to respond so late....

version tracker seems to be a pretty nice app,however its "free scan" is just that. you cant use the program for much more than a scan of whats installed unless you buy the program. so there was no way for me to give it a trial run to see how truly effective it was. it did seem to pick up on every game and program though. however it picked up on some of my archived install files and such which was quite annoying.

so i was looking around and i stumbled upon a thing called gameshadow which i imagine is only for games (and newer ones at that) and from what i can tell is completely free (YAY!)

ill give it whirl and let you know how it is asap

7. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

gameshadow seems to be a very nice (FREE!) tool indeed. it offers latest patches, demos, mods, and videos and new information.
    it not only does newer games but actually all popular games. so something like diablo 2 which is around 10 years old now is still supported
    on a side note it also supports windows vista (64bit even)
    will give more indepth details and information next week

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  8. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

where did you find gameshadow ?

9. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

I personally am thrilled to be proven wrong, lol. I am glad you found a program that meets your needs, and I hope it continues to work out for you.

10. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

it came on the install disc of one of the games i recently bought. i believe it was tomb raider anniversery

link to it once again

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ballboy88 - your sig has grown again, please choose one or the other..

12. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

ok gone.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cheers