1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am pulling my hair out . . . help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mejane, Jan 5, 2004.

1. mejane

mejane Member

Ok I need help. I just finished my package of 30 Verbatim DVD+R -- I got 26 coasters and 2 good burns on an old movie and 2 burns where they mess up some but don't totally freeze like the other 26.

Here is what I have:

Windows XP
    Anthlon 2600 processor
    512 meg ram
    160 gig harddrive
    Pioneer 106 DVD+/- R/RW drive
    Nero
    Roxio
    DVD Xcopy
    Smart Ripper
    Shrink DVD
    DVD Decrypter

I have tried burning on all of them - the only 2 DVD+R) really clean burns I got was with DVD Decrypter - but I cannot get it to recognize movies I compressed with DVD Shrink (I don't know why)

I have printed and read the guides.

I have tried the following:

Downloaded End it all to close unnecessary programs
    disabled msconfig
    closed all programs on my (alt ctrl delete) except the necessary ones
    downloaded updated firmware for my burner
    disconnected my scanner
    turned off my printer and monitor
    slowed my burn to the lowest possible setting
    AND STILL . . . scrambled DVD's, freezing etc.

I can watch the movie with no problems from my hard drive so I feel the ripping is not the problem, it is the burning.

My DVD XCopy will give me a clean burn on DVD+RW but not all my players will recognize it. I tried copying the DVD+RW to DVD+R using all of my programs - they all say they are not valid disks.

Help please!

jane

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya bald-headed one,

just browsing around and noticed that everyone has been ignoring you, what is the world coming to when a Lady in need of help is ignored?

Fear not, Fair Lady, for the gallant drchips gallops to your rescue <drums roll & trumpets blare!!!>

First off, we shall be tackling the problem from the results end of the equation....

[bold]The choice between DVD-R and DVD+R:[/bold] dependant upon the age and cost of your standalone players, you may find they have less problems with DVD-R than anything else, computer drives will read them all.

[bold]Burning Software:[/bold] Roxio gets a MAJOR SLAGGING from lots of users, ditch it QUICK.
    Nero has its enthusiasts, and its detractors; as far as DVD burning is concerned I am one of those that says it is FLAKEY and NASTY (too many ways to get it wrong with Nero).

Might I suggest you give RecordNow Max a try:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10180795.html?tag=lst-0-1

NOTE: remove Nero while evaluating other burning software.

That should get you on the right path towards identifying the culprit (indentify the cause, THEN treat it, too many people spend time treating symtoms).

So, buy a 5 pack of good quality DVD-R's, try RecordNow Max, make sure your VIDEO_TS folder only contains DVD Compliant files...

Then report back with the results so far.

Have Fun...

[bold]P.S.[/bold] I said Roxio gets a slagging... Just noticed this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/64633

see what I mean??

Byeeee...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  3. mejane

mejane Member

Thanks Doc,

I think I am going to try DVD-r first. I have already taken roxio off - forgot to mention that in my prior note -- DVD xcopy support line instructed me to take that off.

I wonder if I am only having these problems on 2 layer movies, hmmm. . . . .

Any idea why my programs don't recognize the recorded DVD+RW -- I tried burning the movie on my DVD+RW to a DVD+r and cannot.

jane

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  4. drchips

drchips Active member

Jane,

many possible reasons, just trying to track it down is the major part, one step at a time.

Once the culprit is identified, a recipe for success will be created.

A lot of what you have said about the problem, as you perceive it, gives me cause to suspect that there is a fundamental flaw in either your methodology or the tools you are using (method of use rather than faulty software) and the majority of the problems you are experiencing are symptoms of that flaw.

In short, to understand the steps to GUARANTEEING a success, you have to start with simple tools and discrete steps.

I recommend the following as a starter kit:

DVDDecrypter
    IFOEdit
    DVD2One
    RecordNow Max V4.5

If ALL the following are true:

Your hardware is not faulty.
    The media is acceptable.
    You are using a relatively simple original.
    The steps are followed exactly.

That is sufficient to GUARANTEE a success.

Where you go from there (what changes you make to tools and method) is up to you.

Hang in there girl, it is slow to start, but you will get there, OK.

5. mejane

mejane Member

whew! We figured it out.

I changed to DVD-R - perfect burn. My burner says it will do both +/- but it won't!

Thanks for all your help

6. gone4day

gone4day Guest

Jane, try a different brand of media. Sony DVD-R, Fuji DVD+R...anything. Repeat your steps EXACTLY as you've done in the past, but with a different brand.

I went thru almost 30 TDK DVD-R's at first until I realized that some combination of my burner software/burner/stand-alone player didn't like TDK media. Once I changed media, they've worked flawlessly since.

Oh, and I now have Sony DVD-R's and Fuji DVD+R's working flawlessly on 6 different standalone players, using only DVDSHrink for decrypting/ripping and Nero 6 for burning with a Pioneer 104 burner.

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Jane,

glad you got a result.

When you want to learn more, you know where we all hang out...

Byeeee...

8. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

hey drchips,

I noticed you mention RecordNowMax. I tried it and it keeps telling me it doesn't recognize my burner drive as a compatible drive (NEC 1300A). I tried the software updates, but they don't include my model. So I have software I cannot use. Any ideas would be mucho appreciated.

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

I have done a search on your drive, is it a new model?

This is the drive compatability page for RecordNow Max V4.5 as supplied by Stomp:
    http://www.stompinc.com/cgi-bin/test/compat.pl?rnmax

It seems they do not currently support the drive you have.

BUT ALL IS NOT LOST!!!

I am currently investigating RecordNow Max V6 as supplied by Sonic to see if is the same product under the fancy skin.

They DO support your drive, so it may be possible....

Hang on, I shall get back to you on this.

Oooohh! I am just a sucker for the Ladies...

10. drchips

drchips Active member

Hello again,

I had a look around and found THIS:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/archive/t189770.html

It SEEMS that the px engine updater from Sonic DOES work with older versions of RecordNow Max.

If you can get a hold of that updater, that will probably sort out your problem (NEC 1300A support).

Drawback is, you need to register with Sonic (tell them you have a pre-version 6) - a name, address etc kinda registration (I HATE them!!).

I can't test coz I don't have access to a 1300A.

Good Luck...

11. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

dr. chips,

Thanks for the great help and the time to do research. After I posted my problemo, I sent a note to the Stomp people, who actually replied within hours with the 4.5 update, which worked with my NEC (which so far has been great with everything!). Now that I have your attention, I continue to have a problem with my video capturing. I'm using WinCreator, which captures the video from my Sony DV camera just fine, however it's an older version (5.5) which doesn't allow for burning to a DVD. What it does is save the file as a NeroMediaPlayer file, with a .mpeg extension. WinCreator2 will allow me to burn the image, but doesn't give any option to leave the session open or closed, and will cost a lot more than other softwares out there to upgrade to. RecordNowMax doesn't seem to recognize this as a video file, so I can't burn the image to a DVD. I just tried a trial version of CopyToDVD, and the same problem happens. Both of these latter softwares allow me to burn the video image as a data file, which is ok, but when playing it back, the size is somewhat diminished. I guess what I'm saying is perhaps there is better video capturing/burning software out there? All that I've tried seem to work ok with my NEC, so perhaps I should be thankful for that :)

12. drchips

drchips Active member

cobruh2k,

you are missing a step (a BIG step admittedly) between having an MPEG file and burning a DVD-VIDEO:

[bold]AUTHORING[/bold]

When you say the file is MPEG, is it MPG 1 or MPG 2 standard?

MPG 1 is VCD standard/quality.
    MPG 2 is DVD standard/quality.

A couple of nice little utilities can be found here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/avicodec.cfm
    and here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

They will help you identify the type of file you have.

Post back with the results.

Have Fun...

13. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

drchips

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at work now so I can't install these little tools. Once I do, then how do I use them to read the video files I'm talking about? I'm pretty sure they are MPG-2 because I forgot to mention WinCreator was able to burn them to a DVD. I find it still odd that when I right click on one of the images and display properties, all it says is that it is a NeroMediaPlayer file; no extension shows. The only time the extension (MPEG) shows is when I'm burning the file.

Thanks for your patience, all this stuff is kind of overwhelming. I thought everything these days was put it in and click.

14. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

drchips

Hi again. I used the AVIcodec to analyze the file, and here's the results of the two short video clips I ripped (all from the same short 3 minute video)

The v. codec for both is MPEG 2, whereas the a. codec for one is MPEG 1 Audio Layer 2, and one is Audio Layer 1. Curious about the difference since they are from the same video clip.

Also, another question. 2 of the software programs I'm trying to video capture/burn do not even recognize my DV camera. I'm suspecting because each is searching for a 1394 input, and I'm using a USB 2 cable which is all they gave me with the camera (Sony). Could this be the problem? I thought it shouldn't matter because data is data no matter how it's transmitted, and anyway, isn't USB 2 faster than firewire?

Still confused here in foggy California...

15. happynow

happynow Guest

Hi the latest burn engine for recordnow dx is pxengine507.exe you need this if your drive speeds are not recognised. Before updating I only had Min-mid-max to choose from now have all speeds to choose. I have the nd2500a, so it should work with the 1300. It is same pxengine for all versions of recordnow dx from veritas 4.5 through sonic 4.61 to the latest IBM 6 version as far as I know. I will mail it if you give me your Email adress.

16. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

Thanks, I'd like to give that a try. I do believe the Stomp people tried to send me the lastest pxengine but my email program removed it.

Try sending it here:

davidhori@dot.ca.gov or
    horifamily@comcast.net

17. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya cobruh2k,

Right then, the files SEEM to be MPEG2 (NOTE: NOT ALL MPEG2 files are DVD-Compliant)

You need an authoring package to turn DVD-Compliant MPEG2 files into a DVD structure.

I suggest TMPGEnc DVD Author V1.5, download a trial version from here:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

most capture programs, if you choose DV as input will EXPECT 1394 and will not see any USB2 device - this is normal.

Connect using 1394 for the best functionality/results.

Yeah, data IS data, but it does matter how it is transmitted (an analogy: if the music (data) you want to listen to is transmitted on AM (USB2) but you are listening on FM (1394), what chance you will get to hear the music you want to hear).

If you believe the numbers that marketing pumps out, then USB2 has the POTENTIAL for being faster than firewire (there are 3 distinct speed standards in USB2).

In real life, not only does firewire beat USB2 for speed, it also has far better support for what you want to use it for (DV Camera <--> PC).

Go for 1394.

Have Fun...

18. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member

drchips..

Wow, I tried the authoring program you suggested; had no idea what I was doing but it's fairly intuitive and was able to take my test clips and encode them into the standard (which now means something to me!!) audio and video files. The burning portion of the program did not work for me, but I used burnatonce instead, which lo and behold, created a DVD that I just played on my home theater!! All that from a USB capture from my DV camera. What a long, strange trip it's been.

One thing came up, that the combined bit rate was too high - I guess this didn't cause a problem because I was able to play and hear my video. But, how does one reduce the bitrate to not be too high?

I'm also hopeful that when I receive by 4-6 pin 1394 cable, that I won't have to do through all these encodings and burns. But we will see. Will let you know about that when I try it.

I can't thank you enough. I had no idea the world of DVD burning problems is so universal. The downside is my wife is getting ready to take my PC away from me!!!

19. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya cobruh2k,
    Yes, it is particularly siutable to start with, intuitive, as you say.
    you still have some distance to go yet.
    that was the program warning you that the files were not strictly DVD-Comliant, but they must have been close, otherwise it would not have worked.

You will learn about bitrates and compliance later.
    Oh, yes you will, it is all part of the learning process IF quality is important to you.
    AARRGGHH!! NO! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!

So, a successful DVD, well done.

When you want to learn the full, high quality, step-by-step route, using individual tools to achieve what you want (and learning a lot about the process at the same time), let us know, we will be there to help.

Have Fun...