1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am so lost!

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Shrug1964, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Shrug1964

Shrug1964 Member

OK, I am so lost and I know this forum is filled with geniuses! So maybe you can help.

I will list what I have, what I want to get, and what I want to do. Maybe somebody can help me design something and give me some instructions.

What I have

46" LCD HDTV
    Sony surround sound system
    A current PC with Windows 7 (64 bit)
    Xbox 360
    Nintendo WII
    A DirecTV HD-DVR (though I am dumping DirecTV, I get to keep the box)
    Full house WIFI
    Netflix
    DVD Player

What I am going to get
    One of the following:
    - Roku
    - Logitech Revue
    - Sony Internet TV Blu-ray Disc Player

What I want to do

I no longer want to be tied to satellite or cable. I want to use my Netflix and GoogleTV and my DVD player. That should cover the whole of my TV watching.

I want to be able to record Netflix and GoogleTV.

I have several DirecTV boxes that I am willing to mod if I need to.

If anyone could give me some clear, concise instructions, I would be very grateful.

I am currently stuck at home while awaiting a liver transplant, so I have plenty of time to set this up. I just can not work out how it should all go together.

Thank you very much!

2. Shrug1964

Shrug1964 Member

Somebody? Anybody? Help! Old guy here needs the assistance of your fresh young minds!

3. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Netflix is on demand so I wouldn't bother to try to record any of that. GoogleTv without a cable or satellite doesn't require any recording as that content will be on demand as well.

A lot of shows can be found on the internet in a flash format that can be captured and saved to your computer.

If you want to keep a lot of media there is always downloading. There are both legitimate methods (Itunes) and not so legitimate ones (peer to peer filesharing).