1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am using Decrypter and Shrink and I am getting an error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tricia376, Oct 13, 2004.

1. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

I have been using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for about 2 months now. All of a sudden recently, my DVD Decrypter keeps saying it has an error and that i should check the condition of the burner. Does anyone know how i can remedy this situation. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both DVD Shrink and Decrypter and that did not work. It is not a peripheral problem, because my burner is brand new. Please help me.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

The drop box says DMA if available for both channels. Should I switch to PIO? I have also tried to download NERO and don't know if this would help. I have also checked the CD/DVD Device and it is functioning properly.

With NERO, I can't find where to enter the serial number. Grrr...Sorry to be a pest!

4. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

Oh Yeah, and now my stinking serial number won't work for Nero! I am having a wonderful day!

5. Nephilim

"DMA if available" can be misleading. What is the "Current Transfer Mode"? You want some form of DMA, not PIO :)

Check your pm's ;)

6. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

i cannot find my device manager. i am so sorry, please help. i just want to continue burning my dvd's
    thanks.

7. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

my primary is on DMA Mode 5, and the secondary is on DMA Mode 2

8. Nephilim

You're DMA settings are as they should be.

After you use Decrypter you should be able to save the log which is just a text file that will list the errors it encounters. If you could post a log that contains the error messages that'd be great. It sounds like you're getting a "check condition" error.

What make/model drive are you using? Firmware version? Decrypter should list this information :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  9. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

{0:1:0}TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E this is how my DVD burner is listed.

When you talk of firmware, do you mean the factory installed burning software? I have Roxio, Sonic, and DVD X Copy all on my computer, but I don't use them. I hope this helps!!!

10. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

OH, and the burner is factory Dell. The message that you wrote about CHECK CONDITION is what I am receiving. I start to burn and at about 40% it starts popping up that message box, and I hit retry. I have to hit retry about 150 times (literally) to get through the whole movie. Obviously, this does not make a good copy. If my firmware response was not correct, please tell me where I can find this information. I am pretty good with computers, but I still am learning.

11. Nephilim

I'd uninstall the lot of them especially Roxio. Roxio is a blight that loves to screw up other burning apps. Be sure to run this little tool after you uninstall Roxio to clean up all the little bits that get left behind:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Firmware is a small set of instructions on a chip inside the burner. They help the burner to recognize different media and tell it how to burn them. If you're having burning issues it's usually a good thing to check if there's a new firmware since the manufacturers regularly improve their them for better media compatibility and write performance. Since you have a Dell I'd check their support site for a newer firmware.

Nero Info Tool can list the firmware version you currently have installed :)

12. tricia376

tricia376 Guest

YOU ROCK! Taking off all of the other burning software did the trick. I am not going to install Nero, because I really don't need it. Decrypter and Shrink work great. You are a genuis! Thank you so much!

13. Nephilim

My pleasure. Don't be a stranger :)