1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am using DVD FLICK to burn MP4s to DVD- Question for you folks

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by spodek, Dec 29, 2009.

1. spodek

spodek Member

Being the files are downloaded into ipod mp4 format, when I burn them with DVD FLICK, a 100meg file could end being close to 1 GIG when burning them. Anything you can think of to reduce the space they take up? I am burning them to play on my DVD player.

Thanks Dudes & Dudesses!

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What is the running time of that 100MB video? Is not all about the size(MB) of the video, but the duration. You can have a 1hr movie compressed down to 100MB or to 500 MB, when "decompressed" and converted to DVD-video, will take about the same space.

You can try and manually set the bitrate, but then you'd get a crappy quality output.

3. spodek

spodek Member

Thanks for the reply Cyprus
    You can tell from my question that Im not real experienced in this stuff
    Runtime on one of the files that went from 130MB to 1GB when i loaded it into DVDFLICK was about an hour. I guess the question is whether I should convert the mp4s to another format before before burning(I know AVIs wont look great) or figure out how to alter the bitrate that you are talking about. Suggestions about what bitrate might give ok quality and reduce the size?

Thanks again Cyprus

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Is you player a standard DVD player, or it plays Divx? If is a standard DVD player, then you have no option of converting to AVI or any other format. You need to convert to DVD Video.

Here's where you can adjust the bitrate, however, 1GB for a ~1hr video is not exaggerated. Going any lower, it would probably look grainy/pixelated.

[​IMG]

5. spodek

spodek Member

Got what you said about the 1GB is not a lot for the size file.
    Not knowing the norm for mp4s, it appeared that it was smallish file
    I thought one could still produce a "watchable" video by converting to avis. My DVD player(if you believe the sticker on the outside) DOES play DIVX

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, then if it plays Divx, you can convert to an AVI(Divx). No need to use DVD Flick at all, and will get a much smaller file size.Then all you have to do is burn a data DVD disc.
    There are plenty of free applications that will do that.

Here's one of the easiest:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

It has an option to choose a bitrate(in your case probably 700-1000 should be okay. The higher, the larger the output file.The lower, the lower the quality.
    If you want more control,You can also use any of the ones in the thread below, might want one that has an option to choose a specific file size target:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20681.cfm

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. spodek

spodek Member

Thanks for sticking with me on this Cyprus. Last question(s)
    You said I could burn AVI(DIVX)as they were the same thing?
    And you mentioned that I could burn a "data" disk. I have always used burning programs to burn "video" and never used the "data" setting. Is that something possible with AVI files? How could I possibly not know that.

Thanks again

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Technically not the same thing, but in layman's terms, yes, are the same thing. AVI is a container, Divx(or the open source version, xvid) is the codec used to compress the video, and is inside the AVI container.

What programs did you use to burn those video discs? You can use ImgBurn and click "Write Files/Folders to Disc" to make a data with your AVIs. Or you can just "drag them to your burner."

If your player is capable of handling Divx, life is much easier. No conversion, time wasted, discs made into coasters...

9. spodek

spodek Member

Gotcha
    I usually use DVD Flick or Nero to burn flicks. Actually neither seem to burn AVIs which i have to convert to another file type. I believe IMGBURN doesnt as well now that i think of it. I usually end up having to convert to DVD files. Quickly back to the "Data" burning suggestion and then I will free you from my newbie shackles.
    I believe that Nero might have the ability to burn as a data disk.
    If converted to AVIs, one can burn to a data disc onto a dvd or is that a CD?(not so much room of course)

Much obliged

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Nero can do it, ImgBurn can do it, both will burn a DATA disc.About Any burning software will burn a data disc. Once you have the AVI, copy them to DVD.

11. spodek

spodek Member

Can't thank you enough for taking time to help Cyprus. I will indeed pay it forward to someone similarly lost.

Thanks again & very good things for you in the new year!

Steve F.

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You're welcome!
    If have any other question, fire back, someone might be able to help you out!
    Happy New Year!