1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i cant uninstall a virtual drive. please help.

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by demonboy, Aug 21, 2009.

1. demonboy

demonboy Member

I have a DVD drive that has a virtual drive on it. I dont know which program it came from, because i installed more then one, alcohol 120 was one of them. anyways the dvd player plays dvds but it wont read a dvd-r, instead it reads as a cd, even when i go to the properties it calls it a cd drive.

in properties under my dvd drive it shows another drive called WDC WD3200AAJB-00WGA0, and for the properties of that it shows were it is, window/drivers/disk.sys and /partmgr.sys. i tried to delete them both, but they keep coming back.

also i tried some other guys method who says to delete the scsi and raid controllers, and remove plug and play, but it will still reinstall itself after restarting my cpu.

also i tried to uninstall my dvd drive and even unplugged it from the cpu. still no luck.

this is my first time i ever got confused with a computer. usually i found out how to do things on my own, but this time is different that is why i need help. not mental help. yet. ;o(

2. demonboy

demonboy Member

I forgot to say it is a dvd burner I already burnt one movie to dvd-r, but that was before i had a virus, the virus is gone i got that fixed about 8 months ago. but when i got the computer back from the shop i downloaded different virtual drives, at first i didnt know what exactly do they do, but now i know more about them, and i dont need them.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

WDC is western digital assume that's your hdd

The virtual drive came from software recently installed so start with alcohol by deleting it including all settings etc,when installing programs in future read what it is your applying

I beg to differ regarding you don't need mental help *runs*

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Wish I could find a way to put a virtual drive on a dvd burner *hides*

A virtual drive takes up no space if nothing is mounted on it.. just right click and eject.. hahahaha

That nasty wdc thing.. right click the icon.. properties.. use this device (enable) untick the box.. apply .. report what happens.. should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your mean

EDIT: *mutley laugh*

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  6. varnull

varnull Guest

Just something I have never tried on a running system.. wondering what will happen is all XD

Same should be possible with virtual drives to stop anything mounting until it's needed.. wow.. brainstorm.

You play with raid arrays don't you Scorp.. have you come across this? http://lwn.net/Articles/269721/

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Nah the only raid i do is chocolate lamingtons at the local bakery

In comp turns i'm pretty much a noob & experiment quite a bit,like you i can't throw stuff out so have a few comps all over the place,it's kinda suprising i ain't broke my neck from tripping over wires,i've only really just getting into linux in the last year or so,well mid 08 onwards,i've got that much stuff to do with xboxes & these comps & a backyard full of lawnmowers it's hard to know where to start,had a mate that worked at a local refuse station so while i was on the dole a few years back got into repairing them & selling,then i ended up becoming a self employed commercial & domestic mowing contractor,it's only now with the down turn work has slowed that i've had time to start rebuilding mowers again so intend to clear them all, i estimate there's around 400 chassis,100-130 of which will be stripped due to major damage,i've already done 35 so far & 20 this weekend the motors number well over 600, of those say 200-250 will be unrepairable,everythings undercover tho all the steel based mowers are rusted so those will get put out in the organic rubbish collection next week,for now it's a matter of sorting the busted chassis from the good ones,so that's my main focus at the mo

8. demonboy

demonboy Member

ok. you guys didnt really help, but any ways here is more info on the problem.

I have ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P.

I think I was wrong, maybe its not a virtual drive, i am not sure. but I notice n the properties the WDC thing is called disk drive not dvd drive. my friend made my computer and when he did he put a floppy disk drive in but he didnt plug it in, but maybe the guy who fixed it did. but anyways I dont know what to do, i guess i could burrow my cousins laptop for burning dvds or games. besides he only lives three miles away.

maybe I will figure it out by the end of college this year, i am taking a lot of computer classes, if all fails i will just get a new laptop by the end of this yr.

today is my b day i am 22. i fell older already. not

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

WD like i said is your hard drive,ignore it

If the only issue is the name of the dvd drive then change it by right clicking on it

Now you mention it won't read DVD-R that's confusing coz the next your saying it reads as a CD,so which is it as they're two different issues coz it only seems like your talking about the icon,put a movie in it, if it plays then the drive reads DVD-R,if not then you need to check the dvd drive is actually able to read DVD-R Media so check the specs

Summary: cd drive is only an ICON that windows assigns to the drive,it is normal when fitting a new drive

10. demonboy

demonboy Member

sorry about that. i meant to say is, i can watch dvds or movies but i cant burn a disc or a dvd disc but i can burn a cd disc. when i put the dvd-r disc to burn in the cpu it reads as a cd and sometimes window media player opens to burn a cd, and i can not put a movie or any thing i want on the dvd-r, even though i did it before. my firewire is updated. but it could be the laser, maybe i should try cleaning it. see what happens.
    i am not a hardware guy, I mostly know software stuff. I wish my friend could fix it. but i dont think he could. the one who made my cpu. r he may not feel like it.

also i did burn a dvd before so i know it burns dvd or it should, thats the problem. and i did use the same dvd-r's.

so when i go to my computer under "type" it says "CD drive" and when i go to "general", "manufacturer" it says "standard CD-ROM drives".
    and no i cant change it.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The name is nothing & you can change it,like you it was originally named CD in "my computer" it is now DVD RAM,Dam i can't remember how i did it..lol..However under comp management it is named CD ROM 0

OK Since it can play dvd's & burn cd's & it could burn DVD's before one has to assume 2 things it's either a software issue or a hardware,you could try a roll back using system restore assuming it works,or uninstall any new burning software like alcohol but you'll need to also remove any profiles those softwares created so it's a complete uninstall,if none of that works all i could suggest is the burner is the issue,if you have a spare comp you could try it in that to be sure

edit:eek:k something screwy going on here in my post,i need to attempt to fix dvd ram in caps is giving a link...lol..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009