1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I changed my mind.....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Halen5150, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Okay....

Hello All; I'm here for you all to see my first pc build; and I'd like to know what you think of it as far as bang-for-your buck and what you think of it as far as OC'ing........because although I'm not 100% sure that I wanna OC this thing yet; I still wanna be able to have the headroom in case I do....[and I think sometime or another I will be OC'ing........it's just a matter of learning and reading before trying it.....]

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model LH-20A1P-186 - Retail

Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

MSI K9N4 SLI-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

PNY VCG7600SXPB GeForce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ePOWER ZU-550W ATX12V Version 2.0 / EPS12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400 - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA3500CNBOX - Retail

...so there it is....and the total including S&H from Newegg comes to $594.81....also; remember if suggestions are made; try to keep them in proportion to a fifteen yr. old's budget; 'cause I am REALLY low on money......

...plus; if anyone's interested; the main purpose of this rig is pretty much to be "all around"......because since this'll be my 1st build; I want it to be able to do a number of tasks moderately; i.e. I'm not looking for "top performance" just yet......but I will be in the future because that's why I changed to an AM2 setup; because if AM2 IS in fact the future of AMD; then that's what I'll go with......

...anyways; thanx for reading; and I'll be happy to receive some comments;)

P.S. If you see any compatibility issues with this rig; let me know asap please; because I'd like to know before going out and ordering a bunch of mismatches if you know what I mean;) thanx

Halen5150

2. UrDady

UrDady Guest

get the any of amd x2 3800 to 4400 there only 30 to 60 more and they make alotr of defrence

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I like what you have picked out, though an X2 would be good but right now very few games support dual-core CPUs and I am not sure when thats gonna change. Although it will probably be soon.

Are you set on nVidia? Because if not ATI has a Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro for $105.64 right now at newegg with shipping ($10 more then the 7600GS).

The X1600 Pro is faster (575MHz core clock vs the 7600GS's 400MHz and a 1200MHz memory clock vs 800MHz for the 7600GS) and is a 512MB card which is twice the memory of the 7600GS.

You can look at the card here.

Everything else looks good to me.

4. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

@UrDady

boy oh boy man; you sure are tempting me; ....but I'll have to think it over.....because this friday I'm playing in a talent show @ our high school; so if I can come in like first or second place; I think they give you @ least 20 bucks; so if i do in fact place in the top @ the talent show; I'll put that money towards that dc proc;) thx mate;)

@Pop Smith

...gosh;; ;you're tempting me too!!!lol....so many choices!!!lol...

..I must say that I might end up taking your advice, too; ; because that looks like a deal that just can't be beat on a budget;)thx man:)...so if I'm able to scrounge up some money; I'll put in another 10 dollars for that card......

Thx for help guys; much appreciated
    Halen5150

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

If you can't go with an X2 it would not be a huge deal although most applications take advantage of both cores which helps a lot, games will surely start taking advantage given the wide-spread fire that is Core 2 Duo. So it might be worth a the $20-50 extra to get a dual-core X2.

As far as my knowledge is concerned, the ATI card will work on that board because its a PCI-E card and SLI isn't enabled until you insert two graphics cards (and probably enable it in the BIOS).

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

id have to say if you get any extra cash get a better cpu, a 3800 if you can. as for the gpu i woul say stick with the 7600, get the gt if funds allow, the gs is a good card that will give you playable framerates with med settings in most games. although on paper the 1600 has higher clock speeds that isnt the best way to compare apples with oranges, this charts shows how they compare in a few games, just pick one like those you play, which is the best way to check how well they do.

@pop

the speeds you have quoted are for the 1600xt not the pro.

edit to fix link

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Newegg must have the numbers wrong then because if you click on the link in my first post and go to "Specifications" it says "Radeon X1600Pro" with 575MHz listed as "Core Clock" and 1200MHz as "Memory Clock".

But, based on those benchmarks it does look like the 7600GS is a better buy. Good job looking those up Marsey99. :)

8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

alright; then I'll stick w/ the 'ole PNY;)

If I do; then that's exactly what I'll get;)

p.s.>while we're at it, does anyone know if this rig I've picked can OC very well?? Cuz as I mentioned before; I'm not totally sure if I wanna OC just yet; but; in the long run that's probably what I'll do;)...so I just wanna double check on that

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Not sure how well it can OC. But I found one place that did some OC'ing to that CPU. Here are the links:

Virtual Hideout

10. UrDady

UrDady Guest

i know thers not that much of app and games that supports dual but after visa launches there will be alot of them andi f ur not going to get vista dual core still a better choice why heres two great reasons why
    first you will be prepaired for next gen app and games
    second with dual core u can play a game on one core and run backroud apps or download stuff or burn an audio or whatever cd on the other core
    if you dont need sny othe above go with sigle core even thoug u can get dual core cpu for the almost same price as singlecore
    peace

11. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

well; taking all your opinions into consideration; I just might end up going to get the 3800 dual core.....

because I'm pretty sure i'll get that money; and I think that the idea of smoother multi-tasking appears far more to me than perfect gaming; but then again; I looked at benchmarks for gaming; and the 3800+ doesn't to tooooo bad for that.......but; all in all; I think it'll be a good value;)

Plus; I was reading on the newegg site and people say that it runs nice & cool to where you can get it to @ least 2.4 ghz on air [<--probably not 'stock' air, though....prolly have to get an aftermarket heatsink to get in that range;....]

12. UrDady

UrDady Guest

if you want faster i say get the 4200 or 4400 they will be the same price as the 3800 and a new heatsink and you get the same speed
    peace