1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont get it, please lend a hand

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by OdoyleRlz, Jan 24, 2007.

1. OdoyleRlz

OdoyleRlz Member

I use nero to burn my dvds, I burn a lot of downloaded video and have never had any problems. Lately my burns play fine for like 30 min or so then start skipping in my stand alone dvd player. If i put the same dvd in my pc it plays fine. This has never happend before does anyone have any suggestions? Pleas I would appreciate it greatly

2. onya

onya Guest

If you've used quality media, and all your backups play via the pc with no probs, But no longer play correctly with a standalone player?

Do a lens clean on the standalone, then retry. If no joy with there, take that disc to a friends standalone and check it out. If it plays correctly....time to get another player?

Sad but true

Cheers.

3. OdoyleRlz

OdoyleRlz Member

The media plays fine in my pc so It had me stumped, i did a lens clean on the standalone, and it's only like 4 months old, I guess I'll give it another shot

4. onya

onya Guest

There's a few times that I've suggested using a lens cleaner, it almost seems ridiculous to suggest it, but if you have any of those horrid little things running around, with sticky fingers..what are they called again?......Ah! Children, then it's completely feasable! LOL..just kidding folks. (about the kids that is.)

Cheers.

5. OdoyleRlz

OdoyleRlz Member

yeah i have one an dhave used it a ton, i dont see why it was playing non burnt dvds fine for a while and still will play some fine, but most burnt, and some original it messes up on. I am oing to take it apart and swab he lens with running alcohol and give that a go. Could it still be bad media and play on my pc? Thank you for the help i really appreciate it

6. onya

onya Guest

Ever had the "slice of toast" in the VCR?......LOL

Back to business, Bad media is just that...bad. Here's a link that bubbles passed on, see where yours is. This may not be a definitive scale, but it's a start I guess.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

As far as taking apart your player is concerned, will you void the warranty? If your not worried then give it a go. That method saved me replacing a PS2 with similar issues.

Cheers.

EDIT: Some issues are based on reflectivity of surfaces(I've forgotten who mentioned it..sorry) This topic goes over my head for the time being so maybe others will post their thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  7. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

When you say dowloaded video, do you mean video files such as .avi, .mpeg, etc.? If so, try using another software to convert your video. I use WinAVI and burn the DVD compliant files using Nero 6. I have yet to have any problems using this combination. hope this helps you. Good luck!

8. markm

markm Member

Hi,

I've got a similar problem, though still trying to isolate things down. At this point, it may very well be the media (Thanks for the link, Onya!) as I just found that I've been burning my last 100 DVD'd with 4th grade memorex DVD+R media (dang!!!)

The problem I've experienced is similar to OdoyleRlz's: I'm currently burning with Nero 7 Untra and a 3 month old Maddog burner from CompUSA. Lately, I've noticed an increase in the pixelation and freezing towards the end of a video (like 1:45 into a 2 hr movie). Ultimately, my two standard home DVD players give up and flashes an error code, however my two home PC's never flinch during a DVD playback.

So, my 1st question is: what typically causes one player to be more sensitive than another player? Given I'm using 4th grade media (grrrr), is it typically a better laser on a device that makes it have less read errors, or is a progressively dusty lens a more common problem?

Question #2: I have never considered using a lens cleaner before, so tell me if I should be running out tonite to get one (also...any brand cleaner better then the other?). Also, I *really* never considered that media quality differed so much.

Question #3: Anyone have a recommendation on a 1st or 2nd quality media for DVD+R that is sold in bulk (25 or 50 packs) and fairly cheap? I saw GQ brand (typically sold at Frys), but I always theough that was garbage. The media link says they are actually are great quality. Any comments?

Mark

9. OdoyleRlz

OdoyleRlz Member

I try to use sony and have always been flawless, but the last time I got media I had the wife get em and she got junk so ? I will try new media and see if it goes back to working like a charm

10. onya

onya Guest

@markm,

There are two factors you should be aware of, one is media quality,
    and the other is burning speed. The remedy is, bump up the quality and kick down the speed to 8X or even 4X.

Your first question;

The answer is yes, you get what you paid for..makes sense to me.

Your second question gets the same answer as the media quality..get the best you can.

The third bit answer is TDK perhaps! This brand is available to me in spindles of 50, in bubble jet printable, plain etc etc. They are not too cheap. To me they are Average quality,won't let me down type media. I would however like to get my hands on a few Taiyo yuden's, just to see why they are so popular.

Cheers.

11. markm

markm Member

Gee, I also want thinking about laser quality differences between manufacturers. I have no idea of the quality of my Maddog burner (or even who actually makes it), but if the price was too good, then I hope I'm not compromising quality in the burn process.

Meanwhile, I just picked up a 100 DVD+R spindle from COmpUSA for $23 bucks (on sale), and a Memorex DVD OptiDisc cleaner (sic..only brand they had). I'll try to reburn some items I've been having trouble with, and see how much the media makes a difference. Figure I will clean the lens and try the new media...a strong two punch, I hope.

Hey, another question for the teeming millions: Is there a utility available that can read a disk and provide a quality rating (or something like that) for that media? It would be nice to know, for that reader & media combo, if the media is STRONGLY readable, or perhaps on the threshold of being a coaster. Not sure how it could do that, I guess providing some internal read-error counter, or other quality signal could be possible?