1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I DOWNLOADED THESE .01 .02 /.001 .002/.part1.rar .part2.rar FILES....what do i do?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hursty, Oct 23, 2005.

1. WuTang92

WuTang92 Guest

i've gotten many isos with te extensions .000,.001,.002...etc. and i open the folder using 7-zip and try to extract it to a different folder but evry time i try to extract it i get an error message message saying "the file could not copy, or file is broken" could it be because of 7-zip? or is it im just unlucky at picking which games to download? lol

2. rav0

rav0 Member

Maybe 7-Zip isn't working properly, so you can try Winrar to see it that works. It could also be that the download is corrupt and/or incomplete (ie you chose the right one but it didn't transfer properly), or maybe it's just an invalid/fake fileset (ie you chose the wrong one).

3. SirJudley

SirJudley Member

Hi, I just downloaded a movie and it was in multiple parts .r00, .r01, etc. I downloaded WinRar and extracted the files into an AVI file, then burned it to DVD. I tested it in the player and the picture is fine, but there is no audio. I played the file on the computer and there isn't any audio there either? Did I do something wrong or did I download a file without audio?

4. WuTang92

WuTang92 Guest

Thanks Rav0 i got Winrar and everything is working perfectly :) i guess it was 7-zip

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My quick response to all recent posts:
    If you've got an ISO, BIN, or MDS, use DAEMONTools, and "mount" those files as a CD drive.
    If you've got lots of .rar, .zip, .7z or .ace, use WInRAR and extract the contents. Some people are annoying and put .iso files inside .rars...

6. rav0

rav0 Member

You do not have the proper audio codec. Play the file in Windows Media Player. Ricght click it when it's in Windows Media Player, and view the "Error details..." then click "Web Help" to find out what codec you need.

7. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

Complete newbie here.

I have downloaded a movie. I have all the rar files. I downloaded the WinRAR program.

After reading this thread it says to right click on any file and select Exract Here... I do not see that as an option.

There is a little 'folder' at the top of the program that says "Extrat to", but I select that and it just keeps popping uo little windows and then aborts...

I am probably missing something very simple, but can someone please help.

Thanks, and sorry for being a newbie on this.

8. rav0

rav0 Member

You're installation of Winrar may be bad. Uninstall Winrar. Then, download it from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm and install it again. After you have done this, try again to extract the rar files that you have.

9. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

rav0,

Thanks for the reply, I did as you suggested, but still do not see the 'Extract Here' option.

I am supposed to just right click on any rar file right?

10. rav0

rav0 Member

Open Winrar, and if it does not show you the options, then use the menu bar to get the options dislog box. Make sure that "explorer integration" is enabled.

11. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

rav,

Thanks for your help, I am sorry I am being a bother. I can not find what you are talking about.

Can you post screen shots for me? (or is that asking too much).

Like I said I am a complete newbie to this and am most likely missing something very simple.

Thanks a bunch.

12. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

OK< I figured out the first problem. I thought Ihad to be IN the program to find the extract here option.

Now, I have a new problem.

In my folder where I have the files... it seems some have 'morphed' into different types.

What I mean is that some look like a piece of paper with a red and green dot in the middle. While, others look like three books stacked on top of each other.

I try to pick any file and select 'Extract here' and it's not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

13. rav0

rav0 Member

The files haven't morphed. What you see is the rar archive files you had all along, and now also the files that were extracted from the rar archives.

Amongst these files will probably be an information file (*.txt; *.nfo; *.diz) and perhaps a verification file (*.sfv; *.md5). In addition to that, you will have the main file of what you downloaded, perhaps a multimedia file or a disk image. To go further you need to identify what's what and then what format they are in.

14. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

Hey rav,

Thanks for your patience.

There is a .sfv file, there is a video sample file, and there are some files that end in .vol000+001 and different number extensions like that.

What steps do I need to do to identify the others or just get this thing to work?

Thanks again.

15. rav0

rav0 Member

The vol000+001 looks like it should be vol000+001.par ie it's a parchive file for trying to recover corrupt files. There should also be rar files alongside them, you may have to extract these (meaning you will end up having extracted from two layers of rar archiving).

16. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

Just let me know what steps I need to do. Because I have no idea of anything you just said... :)

17. rav0

rav0 Member

I have no idea what files you have. To help us give you better guidance, post a list of the names of files that you have.

18. hursty

hursty Active member

Never heard of Parchive?...parity files yes

Its just a set of rar file you have so just unpack them

If your PC dont recognise them,as this is a common thing with .001 extension,just add this extension manually using

open winrar/go to OPTIONS/SETTINGS/INTERGRATION

Where it says "user defined archive extensions",enter .001,then click ok

Go back to your files you have,and you should see one that looks the pile of books aka the winrar icon,just right click on it,and select extract here

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  19. Cinch

Cinch Regular member

Hursty,

I saw that suggestion in a previous post from you and tried it and it did not work for me. :-(

I still think I am doing something simple the wrong way or just flat out missing some step.

Anyway, to answer rav0's question, here are all the files.

dragon-jfkdvd.sample (this is a small clip fromt he movie that works. It's about 2 min. long)
    dragon-jfkdvd.sfv
    dragon-jfkdvd (this one has a weird icon before it. A monitor with an 'I' in it)

The below all say PAR2 File

Dragon-jfkdvd.vol000+01
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol001+02
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol003+04
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol007+08
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol015+13
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol028+25
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol053+49
    Dragon-jfkdvd.vol102+53

The there is a bunch (about 30) files that say they are type WinRar Archive. But they all thave the same file name

dragon-jfkdvd (these are the ones with the "book stack" icon)

Then, there are some that say they are type R files.

They start with:

dragon-jfkdvd.r30

and go until

dragon-jfkdvd.r91

That's all the files I have.

Any ideas?

20. hursty

hursty Active member

Ok,you use newsgroups i take it

The PAR files,as suggested above,are repair files,you only use them when you need them to repair corrupt,or missing files
    You use a program called quickpar with these

that one is the nfo file,you cant view it,because you probably havent got a nfo viewer
    use this to open and view it
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-editors/DAMN-NFO-Viewer.shtml

The RAR files you have are all from the same set,the reason that all them dont look like the "book icon" is because windows can only count them up to 29,the rest will have the "unknown file" type icon,but trust me,the all belong together

Just find the first RAR file,try right clicking on it,and open it with winrar
    if it opens with winrar,you can always drag and drop it out from there