1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally figured out XVID/DIVX to MPEG

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lljr, May 26, 2004.

1. lljr

lljr Member

WOW, I have tried everything, all the codecs and all the software bundles, and I alway get into trouble sooner or later. The last week I noticed that my computer was full of usless programs and codecs, that I never use. I uninstalled everythig, all the codec packs, all the players, everything. This is what I did and it works great.

The reason I am posting this is because I have spend too many hours and too many days searching for 1 good guide. I have always had to take a bit here and a bit there. But now you don't.

Here We Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Install FFDSHOW (make sure you configure it)
    Install TMPGEnc
    Install Virtualdub
    Install Nero

(if you can't find the lastest versions Email me)

4 simple programs to make your life easy, no audio skewing, no black video screens, Just an Mpeg ready to burn for your home DVD player.

Here's How.

1) Open your AVI file in Virtualdub (if you get an error ignore it) and change the audio to full processing mode. Make sure that under the audio tab you have selected NO COMPRESSION, and NO CONVERSION.
    2) Click on the File tab and select save wav as. Tell it what to call your extracted wave, and where to save it. When you hit enter or ok, a box will apear telling you how long it will take and how big the file will be. I find for an hour and a half movie it's about 900MB for justr the wave file.
    3)When the wave is done open it in real player and make a note of the total track time. (example 120min, 23 seconds.
    4)now close that and open the original AVI file in real player and make note of it's total tack time. If they are they same perfect, if not we will correct this in Tmpgenc.
    5)Open TMPGEnc and choose the AVI as the source video and the WAVE as the source audio. Make sure you check off SYSTEM(audio and video) Also dont forget to tell it what to call your new MPEG and where to save it. Also click load benieth the source tabs and load your template, be it NTSC or PAL. Now this is where the fun begins. If your 2 files (AVI&WAVE) had the same total time click start and let it convert (anywhere from 2-10 hours), if they were different go to step 6.
    6) If you click on the settings tab and then the advanced tab you will see a header called source range. Double click source range and a window will open where you can tell the video or audio to start sooner or later. Here's what I do. Lets say the video was 124.34 long and the audio was 124.33 long. Than obviously the video needs to start 1 second in so that they are both the same length. I have figued out that in the start frame box 25 is equal to 1 sec. So if your video is 1 sec out put in 25, if it's 2 put 50 and so on. this will allow the two to synch up again. Now if the audio is longer just put a minus number in the start frame box -25 is 1 sec, -50 is 2 and so on. once you have put in the right number click ok and convert your files. (takes about 2 hours, could be longer depending on your system.)
    7) When the file is finished converting open NERO and make a VIDEO cd of SVIDEO cd, whatever template you used in TMPGEnc is the same as you burn here. Drag and drope your file into nero and burn.

I have done over 30 conversions in the last two weeks this way and have yet to have one not turn out right.

I hope this helps everyone.

LLJR

2. KoreanF

KoreanF Member

Hi lljr;

Thank you for your caring "tutorial"...like yourself, I too am a newbie to this conversion stuff and its a shame that many experienced people do not care enough to help us, that we have to learn things through "trial and error" procedures~!

I have a question (though it may span to 2 or more..hehe~)

..have you found a way to convert "downloaded" movies, that come in ALL sorts of formats (Divx,Xvid and PAL)and get them to convert, using TmegEnc?(these formats crash in TmegEnc)

I have many downloaded movies...and the majority of them "freeze" and "halt" during Playback, eventhough I have latest Nimo Codec pack (5.9)Full...I have successfully converted maybe 2, out of dozens of these files~ Once they are in MPEG format, the "freezing" goes away, thus perfect Playback!

It amazes me, how people can get Movies squeezed into 700mb and share them with us...then when we get them, we cannot get them onto CD's for burning~..I know I have tried too, without success...and I would love to try your method (tutorial) :-(

Would you be so kind as to pass on some information on these matters, if you have any...I know I would be greatful, as well as another, reading this post~~:)

Thank you for your time!

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Lets not stray toooo much to the piratical side of things ;-)

For more info on encoding to (S)VCD with TMPGEnc: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43085

Using programs like AVICodec (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/avicodec.cfm ) or GSpot (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm ), you can determine specific codecs required for individual movies. For a general configuration which should allow you to play virtually any movie you come across, visit http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

4. lljr

lljr Member

yes, uninstall all of your codecs. I mean all and only install the latest verion of ffdshow. Once you have configured ffdshow in the settings panel, tmpgenc will encode anything, but you must still rip out the sound

5. lljr

lljr Member

Install FFDSHOW, it will do wonders for all your playback needs. Also on slower computers you might need to turn down your playback settings in your media player so your computer can keep up. I convert to KVCD all the time and get 2000mb to fit on a single cd with no problems.

6. satantang

satantang Guest

Hi people, im new to this forum. Im trying to convert avi div x movies to mpeg 2 ones. I use a mac computer with system X.3, if someone knows how to do it with this system I would love to know it. I found a way using compressor, the problem is is takes 25 hours for a 1 hour movie, not quite usable.
    I would preciate any help
    Thanks in advance
    Pepo

7. satantang

satantang Guest

Hi people, im new to this forum. Im trying to convert avi div x movies to mpeg 2 ones. I use a mac computer with system X.3, if someone knows how to do it with this system I would love to know it. I found a way using compressor, the problem is is takes 25 hours for a 1 hour movie, not quite usable.
    I would preciate any help
    Thanks in advance
    Pepo