1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I formatted and lost 70 GBs on drive?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tom34diy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Hello. I just placed a legacy 80 GB internal drive in a new enclosure, and it was doing just fine. Then I wanted to format the drive, but after formatting, it now only shows about 9.5 GBs. Would someone please tell me what I need to do to make it show all 80GBs? Thanks a lot. Tom

2. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Not sure if this information helps anyone help me, but I tried formatting the drive again, this time using drive manager, and when I selected nfts (or whatever it is) instead of fats32, it now shows about 32GB, but still, it is an 80GB drive. Any ideas to fix it? Thanks. Tom

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the internal drive is ide then how do you have it jumpered?

4. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Thanks for the reply. It was set as the master when it was in our old Dell with a 10GB drive set as the slave. I left the jumper in the same place when I stuck it in this case, so it should still be master, shouldn't it?.

5. ddp

dell systems are usually jumpered as cable select not master & slave so confirm jumper setting. who makes the hard drive as in western digital, seagate or maxtor?

6. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

It's a Seagate.

7. ddp

what is it jumpered as?

8. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I'll have to take it out of the new case to double check, but as I recall, it was in the 7-8 position, which was master.

9. ddp

the master is the jumper closes to the ide connector. is there a jumper right beside the power connector?

10. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I took it apart, The jumper was next to the IDE. So, I took the jumper out and put it together, did quick reformat, but still same 31 or so GBs instead of 80. Should I rearrange the jumper(s)? Thanks.

11. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

There was not but one jumper on it.

12. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I doubt it matters, but I was using this IDE drive in a Dell with Windows 98. My current desktop where this drive is connected via USB is a Dell with Windows XP. Thanks for the help. Tom

13. ddp

i've used fat32 drives connected to xp with no problems. go into disk management in administrative tools in control panel to see what it shows there. in disk management, delete the 32gig partition & make a new partition that should be full capacity of the drive.

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If worse comes to worse use a live cd like gparted,your situation is different to mine as the old dell i have can't format above 30gb or so,to get any partition larger than that i have to use a live cd then it will read all the drive,bearing in mind this is on internal not external but i have never used the dell to format large externals,yeah anyway it has some sort of restriction built into i assume the BIOS so perhaps yours might also

15. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I tried and it tells me the maximum space is 31.49GB, so I cannot make it bigger. I added several partitions and deleted them, and still that is the max size. Wonder what is up? As I recall, before I ever formatted, all 80GB showed up on this computer just like they had when it was the internal drive in the old computer. Then formatting screwed it up. Thanks again for the help. Tom

16. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

scorpNZ, I may check into the BIOS later today, but before I formatted this thing as an external drive, I think it was showing all 80GBs on this Dell through the USB plug where it is now attached. Thanks. Tom

17. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Also, I plugged it into may Gateway laptop and it showed the 31.49GB, not 80. So, would that mean it's not a Dell limit issue?

18. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

I went into the BIOS and saw what I thought was this external drive. It mentioned slave and IDE, but it was in the off position. So I switched it to on. While starting up after that change, the screen said it did not recognize it, and asked if I wanted to run a utility, and I told it no. I was concerned that I might screw up our entire computer. That is getting a little further into my abilities than I think I should go. Any thoughts? Might it help if I do that again and run the utility? It's getting a little frustrating when all I wanted to do was make myself an external drive. Thanks for the help. Tom

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm not sure what the slave maybe being reported,i would assume it is an internal drive.As for only showing 30gb on the gateway the rest if i'm not mistaken is unpartitoned & will show as free space?,what is computer management showing (not to be confused with "my computer")accessed thru administritive tools then disk management will show complete partition space of all hdd's

20. tom34diy

tom34diy Member

Drive Management is only showing 32gbs.
    Nothing I have done detects that this Seagate 380013A is an 80GB drive. Some of the things I have tried are,

-placed jumper in an different formations and reformatted each time, still only 32gbs.

-I formatted in nfts and the other mode, still only 32gbs.

-ran all possible tests using Seatools, etc., and drive appears to be just fine.

-I have another external drive that I bought as an external drive of 160gbs, and I plugged it in the USB port, and it shows 160gbs, so computer is apparently not limited to 32gbs.

-I copied more than 32gbs of pictures onto the Seagate 80gb drvie that is only showing 23gbs, and it stopped loading at 32gbs and said it was full.

-I inserted an old 10gbs drive into this new enclosure, and it worked just fine, so new drive enclosure appears to be working okay.

This drive worked just fine as an internal drive running win98, now it only shows 32 of 80gbs as an external drive. Any more ideas out there? Thanks. Tom M.