1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I give up... time to ask the experts for help

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by panic_jam, Jun 21, 2007.

1. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

I have wasted more time, effort, money, disc, etc... than I can afford to anymore. For starters, I have been a member here a while... but seldom post b/c 1.) I try to figure stuff out from the guides here and 2.) I hate to ask questions that I know you guys probably get sick of answering. So upfront I apologize for the aggravation.

I am having a problem making quality DVD's from downloaded movies/videos. I am using Nero Ultra and I should be updated with everything as far as I know. I am using Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R for discs and my computer is an HP Pavillion dv8000 with built in DVD burner.

#1). One problem is getting a full length DVD burned to a single disc. I have tried to go by the excellent guides posted on this site... all of which again I think are excellent, and beautifully demonstrated... it's just my own lack of understanding that's the problem. So back to my problem, I don't know how to get a full DVD on a single disc yet still maintain all of the high quality settings.

#2). Even though I end up having to burn one DVD on two seperate discs, I still get a lot of freezing (or whatever it's called when it stops and you see what looks like to me fragmented pixels all over the screen).

#3). I know that I should use Nero DVD-ROM Burner, but I've tried and I can't get it to recognize the files... or maybe it didn't find a VIDEO_TS folder... anyway, it was something like that... either way I couldn't get video files pulled up on the DVD-ROM Burner.

#4). Lastly, (and regarding #3 above)... I'm not very clear on what a VIDEO_TS folder is... like is it a folder that is generated automatically or do I have to manually create it (and if so, where?)

Again, I REALLY hate having to bother you guys with problems that are mainly due to my own ignorance (but I really am trying to learn). Thanks so much for any help.

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Hey,

Sounds like you have several things going on here, each of which can give you the bad results.

First, some questions. (Sorry about that but curious minds want to know!)

Your downloaded movies/videos; what format are they in? Are they AVIs, MPEGs, ISOs, etc.? Are they the full, 1½ to 2 hr movies or clips?

You say you've attempted burns, but end up burning to 2 disks, do you have and can you post a log?

What have you been burning with? (if not Nero)

A VIDEO_TS folder is generated automatically when you convert AVIs, MPEGs, etc., to standard DVD format. Nero Vision makes & populates the folder when you "Make a DVD" from AVI, MPEG, ISO files. I generally burn to Harddisk so I have the files, then use Nero Recode (or DVDShrink) to reduce the size to fit on one DVD.

This should get you started.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  3. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

sorry about the ambiguity... one of the biggest problems with not knowing how to do this stuff is not knowing HOW to ask the right questions.

For a more specific example, right now I'm wanting to burn a movie ("Along Came Polly") to a DVD. I have it stored on my computer as a single 700 MB AVI file in XVID MPEG-4 format (according to AVIcodec analysis).

I am using Nero, and begin with Nero Vision, then when I added the file it alerts that I have exceeded the storage capacity of my disc at the current settings and asks if I want to reduce the size by choosing lower quality settings. I guess one good question to ask is what specifically should I do at this point b/c I don't want to burn at any less than optimal settings.

As for a log, I don't know where it's stored (it's not where it should be according to instructions posted in another thread in the forum).

I'd be glad to post a log if I had it.

And as for the VIDEO_TS deal, thanks for the explanation... at least now I know I don't have to create it manually. And a HUGE thanks for the help!

Does this post help you out... or help you help me out, lol?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I'm guessing that the movie you are converting to dvd might have started life as an analog capture, hence the size.

If you want the movie to fit on one disk, you are going to have to lower the quality settings. If you don't want to compromise your quality settings, you will need to burn to a DL(Double Layer or Dual Layer) disk. I haven't seen any DL Lightscribe disks.

If you want to fit the movie on one disk, you have 2 options. First, you can reduce you quality settings in Nero Vision and allow it to burn to your disk (where Nero Vision will make the VIDEO_TS folder)

or,

keep your quality settings and burn to a folder on your harddrive(where Nero Vision will also make a VIDEO_TS folder). Once this is done, you can burn at full quality or reduce and fit on a regular disk. For either of these options you can use Nero Recode or DVDShrink (a free program).
    Since your using Nero Ultra (7), I don't know where the log file is either, I'm still using Nero 6.

5. panic_jam

panic_jam Member

yeah, I've heard that the older Nero version is better... people definitely seem to prefer it. I actually had the older version on my last computer and never had any problems backing up purchased DVD's (with the help of DVD Shrink). However, I never tried to burn a DVD from downloaded files with the older version.

I'll give it another shot and see how it goes. I'll also try to find a log to post.

I really appreciate your help.