1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got some major Virus problems

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Eugene482, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hi, before I install Hijackthis, I want to know if USB transmission from PC to PC is safe? I mean, I don't want to get that Trojan on my USB. Alright, umm, my mom was using the PC and Norton Security Center did not turn on automatically. So, the PC just 1/3 of a times keeps showing me blank desktop on log-in. In her XP account, it's impossible to work, it seems the processor got retarded, takes 5 mins of waiting for processor to start anything. However, in my account it works better. Yesterday I scanned my Windows folder with NAV and got 1 trojan. However, I cannot run NAV because it says "Norton Antivirus has Encountered a Problem That Needs To Close". It was something related to kernel.32. Help? What Antivirus should I get? And is there a free registry cleaner? Thanks in advance.

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

If you want to be totally fail safe just reformat your computer.

Some viruses will be undetectable if an anti-virus programs are installed after being infected.

3. Xeres

Xeres Member

Sorry I don't agree chubyinc. Reformating a system Is a Last Resort . Reformating carries with it the good chance that some information the user may need will be lost . Even backing up the data on and infected computer to be reinstalled carries with the risk of reinfection from the backup files. It is far better to get the system cleaned of any infections than back up the data.

I suggest you first Download a copy of HiJackthis, install into it's own directory( not a tempory one as you may need the backups). run with the option to scan and save a report. DO NOT Attempt to fix anything unless instructed to do so. Post that report back to the forum where the guru's can determine the best cousre of action. You should also download/ or do an online virus trojan scan. Kaspersy/ AVG /Trenmicro all ahve online scanners. Save a copy of that report and include with the Hijack this report.

Cheers
    Xeres