1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate 240mhz TVs

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by tool74, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tool74

tool74 Member

I wonder what kind of response I will receive from this, however I am not a fan of the new 240 mhz format that film makers and HDTV's are currently using. I believe I have finally figured out why. It may sound strange but when I am watching it it seems like the movie feel has gone out of the movie. It all seems more like a horrible made for TV movie that you might see on lifetime or such. A perfect example of this is the movie 2012 which me and my wife saw last night the entire movie has a movie feel to it until the very end where they switch to 240mhz then its almost like watching a soap opera or something. I don't know if anyone out there can understand what I am talking about. I would appreciate some other views on the subject.

2. JeffroDH

JeffroDH Member

Are you noticing this on all movies? I would tend to agree that the 240 hz hardware in HDTV's is only as good as the software behind it, but I wasn't aware that filmmakers were shooting at a 240hz refresh rate. Are you sure about that?

Perhaps they just changed the cinematography in that last section... or there was more or less of a specific type of movement that your television doesn't do very well.

Cheers

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Film is dead. 120hz LCDs also make older films look like soap operas. Crap technology eaten up by the masses.

4. ThePit

ThePit Regular member

I normally don't post in the forumn but what everyone should know is that your eyes only refresh at 60mhz. These higher 120 and 240 is exactly what the poster above said it is crap that is eaten up by the masses. Why do you think tvs for the last 30 years all refreashed at 60mhz? Its because there is no real reason to go higher. People with the best eye sight possible might see something but most won't see anything wrong with there picture.

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

ThePit has the exact answer, same reason that fluorescent lights "flicker" at 60Hz, the human eye doesn't notice the pulses above that rate. But, if you want to enhance your manhood, then go for it.