1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have 50cds full of MP3s some CDs scratched, Stupid Erros keep comming up,

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SteveF22, Jan 25, 2005.

1. SteveF22

SteveF22 Member

Glad to be on this forum. Ok im sure this is a common problem for people around here. I have about 50 cds chalk full of MP3s from years of collecting them. Some CDS have been scratched.
    I want to create a master archive of these on my PC. However when I drag and drop them into a single folder on my HD I run into the following problems/ hang ups.

1. Everytime a scratch is on the cd my Drive decides to lock up and continue read the damaged sectors, thus creating an endless loop and not allowing me to continue w/o the annoying blue screen of death and having to re-insert the CD. When I re-try the process, the only thing I can do is shit my pants and hope the limited songs I selected aren't on the damaged sectors.

2. Windows hangs up as soon as it detects the identical file name allready in the folder. I get the error message "This file allready is in this folder, do you want to overright?" No option for "Yes to all" only "no" or "yes". This is fine when doing other things but not when im trying to bring all my MP3s to one central file. very bothering. Is there a way to turn off hang-ups like this?

3. "This file is a read only file. Are you sure you want to move this over... bla bla" Another hang-up. Anyway to ignore this rule?

These are the most common problems I run into when trying to back up my MP3s from CD to HD. Anyone know of any tips and tricks to get around this. Someone please help, its starting to smell around here.
    Sincerely,
    Steve

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what windows are you using? I'm guessing from the "blue screen of death" reference that you are referring to win98. If you are, I highly suggest you upgrade to win2k or winXP. One thing I can suggest is to buy a 50 pack of blank CDRs, since they're relatively cheap, and copy the scratched discs to the new ones. your drive may have just as much trouble reading it while copying, but its worth a try, because windows explorer is pretty bad at copying files from scratched discs, where as something like nero or clonecd has read error protection, and tries multiple times to read from the scratched sectors. Just a suggestion. Maybe try it with one CD and see how it goes.

3. SteveF22

SteveF22 Member

I have Windows ME. Blue screen happens when the drive hangs on bad sectors. ME just kinda locks up and waits for you to eject the disk and click any key when the blue screen of death comes up. Thanks for the advice I will try Nero since I bought the ULTRA verson from ebay this week. Any programmers out there who want to team up and make some $$?
    Steve

4. squizluke

squizluke Regular member

Try cleaning the cds with car polish. sounds stupid but it works most of the time.