1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have a question about my new hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gpl1023, Dec 27, 2005.

1. gpl1023

gpl1023 Member

my computer freezes a lot, so should i unplug my hard drive when its not in use so that it wont get damaged or should it be alright?

2. gpl1023

gpl1023 Member

another question, i got the hard drive to save all my memory. and now i have a lot of memory but my computer keeps freezing. it goes to a dark blue screen with a bunch of writing and i cant print it so i dont know what it says and when i turn it back on your system has recovered from a serious error and i cant get it to stop freezing what can i do?

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

gpl1023

What Windows O/S are you using now, ME, XP, etc. and what service pack?

The "Blue screen of death" as it is sometimes called can be caused by many things, mostly drivers from software just loaded or previously loaded. When you PC recovers, and you get the "your system has recovered" screen, you should also get, if it's Windows XP, another little screen asking if you wish to report this error. Do that and you should get a message back from their website which might give you more information about what is causing this error, such as the driver that I mentioned.

4. gpl1023

gpl1023 Member

yeah i have windows xp, everything you said described it, what should i do send the message? do you know the answer to my 1st question too?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Freezing is usually a O/S, software, motherboard, or driver issue and should not cause problems with your HDD, especially if it is new. But if this problem began after the install of your new HDD, then it might be a configuration problem/conflict, etc. with your hardware.

Yes send the message like I mentioned to see what Windows suggests is your problem.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  6. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

I think you are also confussing RAM with HDs. Usually when someone speaks of memory they mean ram, not the HD.

7. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

I think you are also confussing RAM with HDs. Usually when someone speaks of memory they mean ram, not the HD.