1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a question ;p

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synth05, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

I recently unistalled my dvd-rom and dvdburner from the secondary ide channel to fix the 2x lock speed. Would unistalling the primary ide channel make another difference'? And whats this one above the both of them.
    Intel(R)82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers'?
    At least i got past the 2x lock speed, and i think its still not going normally its not even reaching 10,000 kb/s yet used to go 16,000 read rate (transferrring ripping the dvd to hardrive) with Dvd Shrink, and Dvd Decrypter at max. I sorry if i sound confusing in this ;p. Any help'?

P4 2.8 ghz 80 gigabyte hd.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  2. J_man

J_man Regular member

I recently unistalled my dvd-rom and dvdburner from the secondary ide channel to fix the 2x lock speed.

Are you talking about the write speed being set to (max) in Decryptor? This setting has nothing to do with shrink encodeing to your hard drive.
    Shrink will only read as fast as your rom will let it and the DVD will allow depending on quality,cleanliness and scratches.
    As for the Intel(R)82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers'? Those are for Serial ATA hard drives?

3. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Remember i'm a noobie ok lol'. Well no before in Dvd shrink i was transferring the dvd to my hd around 13,000 kb/s. And somehow i had problems lately which seems everything was locked at 2x speed (2,500 kb/s max.) But when i unistalled my secondary IDE channel which contained my Dvd-rom and Dvd burner its faster now. 4,500 max but still not fast and efficient i remeber when i first got it it was going 13,000 kb/s to 15,000 on dvd shrink while ripping the movie to my hd. Any advice'? Hopefully i don't sound confusing to you ;p

4. J_man

J_man Regular member

What's your O/S?
    have you run a disk defrag? if not then defrag the drive.
    What programs are running in the background while trying to ripp? screensaver,antivirus,internet.

5. J_man

J_man Regular member

Also make sure you're hard drive channel is in DMA mode.

(BELTLINE) posted this:

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Right Click on "My Computer" on your desk top, (2) click on "Properties",(3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot

You need to make sure your IDE controllers are in DMA MODE:

Changing Drives From PIO Mode to DMA

If the drive is not burning at the maximum speed, the IDE Controller the drive is attached to may be set to PIO mode and needs to be set to DMA.

To enable DMA mode right click on "MY COMPUTER" on your desktop and click on "Properties" at the bottom of the pop up window. Click on the "Hardware" tab. Then click on the "Device Manager" tab.

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available

If this doesn't work, you'll need to uninstall the device, reboot, then windows should automatically detect the device on reboot and reinstall it. At this point go back and see if it is now in DMA mode.

6. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Thanks for the info, but i unistalled, and reinstalled them, but is this normal the primary IDE channel says for device 0 dma if available which is correct current transfer mode is ultra dma mode 5 then for the device 1 under it says same as dma 0, but for the transfer mode its Not applicable whats that mean'?

< windows xp service pack 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  7. J_man

J_man Regular member

I'm assuming you only have 1 hard drive hooked up to the primary channel and the second primary channel is not in use.