1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have an IDEA that will help stop spammers.

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Pop_Smith, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The thread I started before suggested such a feature, not knowing that it already existed. Now that I look like an idiot I think I'll call it a night. <G>

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your not an idiot because if you hadn't asked you wouldn't have known. if in doubt ask!

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

:) yes, almost everyone is willing to help out if you ask for it.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks ddp and Pop_Smith :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Actually, it's just recently been removed....
    Many probably aren't aware of it yet since many people didn't even realize that only members and above can report offensive posts.

This was posted by dRD on Jan 18th when someone posted a question about how to use the report function.....

"Thanks for pointing this out. I'll look into this and either a) remove the "report" button from the users who are not allowed to use it or b) show an explanation on the reporting page explaining that only users with certain user level can make reports.

The original idea was basically to make our regular users "assistant moderators" by simply allowing them to help out mods by pointing out threads/posts that are in violation against our rules. And the reasoning for n00bs not to be allowed to use it was that a) someone who is angry at our site, would abuse the system and simply overwhelm the threads mods need to check b) we assume -- very unfairly, I know -- that most newbies don't have a good idea of our forum rules yet, thus they are not capable of knowing what is allowed in forums and what is not."

the actual thread...
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/148676

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks for the update [bold]zippyd[/bold]

My apologizes to the individual then since this was a very recent and easy to miss change about "noob(s). features"
    I LIKE THAT TERM! <G>

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

What you're saying doesn't make sense because you could report anyone and then give them an extra two posts. What would be the point of adding two posts anyway? No one can see them but you, and even if everyone could, would you feel special or something?

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

lol, some people like the higher "ranking" you get by posting a certian amount (i.e. 500 for Senior Member, 2500 for Addict) if you add +2 posts for each Spammer you turn in it would help with two things, one, it would cut down the spammers. Two, people would reach a "higher 'rank'" faster because they report spammers.

It sounds funny but, its just an idea.

9. Sportty

Sportty Member

Do you block by IP? I'm brand spankin new here and noted you don't have much protecting the 'front door' . I've joined other forums where you have to type in the letters or words which appear visually skewed to keep spam-bots out. I noticed right away you've got a pretty decent sized spam problem going. I like what I've seen so far here, outside of those spammers. One suggestion: delete these posts, don't close them only and leave them there. I'm a mod on another sports related board and it's always good policy to 'keep it clean'. :)

10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sportty: I'd say, condidering the facts that we have almost 300k users and get ~2000 posts each and every day, that our spam problem is quite small. One of the main reasons is probably the fact that we don't use any common forum software where there are spam scripts available (vBulletin, phpBB, etc). The current spam level is fully manageable IMO and mods are tackling the issue quite nicely.

The IP-blocking is seriously a bad idea, as you might block an IP that acts as AOL's proxy or something, thus blocking out potentially few million users.

11. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

hmmm? i see a scubapete and a scubabud, those both you pete?
    yes the mods get a bit harsh with people, but as the boss said, we do see the same crap over and over and over. The best thing to do if you want ot become a mod is use the crap out of the "report offensive post" feature, and PM the mods with issues that need addressed right away. i cant speak for all mods on this, but i do not mind PM's at all when it comes to keeping the forum clean. However i do tend to get a bit irratated when i get PM's from people asking questions that should be asked in the open forum so everyone can benefit from the information. so if you think something needs dealt with, by all means report it and/or PM me. the report feature does help us out alot since it helps to shorten the time we used to have to spend just browsing over all the forums individually.

oh and boss, thanks for the public thanks. everyone knows we dont get paid for this and it takes time away from our personal lives to do what we do here, and just a "thank you" now and then means alot.

that is all....carry on.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

darthnip

ScubaPete is Pete and I'm Ted, ScubaBud :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  13. ddp

scubabud has scubapete's arm in his mouth so can say they are 1 & the same in a way!!!!

14. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

You wouldn't burn down the tree to get rid of a couple
    rotten apples.
    The mods here ROCK everyone knows that,
    Its not there fault that n00bs cant read :)

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

ddp

With ScubaPete's Diver Credentials and the number of years he's been diving, you can take it to the bank that a Shark will never get him or his arm!

That arm in the shark’s mouth is from a Canadian Diver in Toronto! <G>

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  16. ddp

we don't have sharks in the great lakes so you must have ambushed him/her when him/her were in florida

17. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Doesn't the LOKNESS MONSTER live in Toronto? I heard he eats arms and sharks.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Snicker...

Nothing eats sharks!!!

19. ddp

except other sharks & humans, don't know about killer whales but doubt it

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That arm in the shark’s mouth is from a Canadian Diver in Toronto!

The above should of read, from Toronto, not in Toronto! <G>

And Humans are the sharks worst enemy.