1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have the Sony DRU-500A Burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Smokey63, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

I bout a Sony DVD + - Burner from Ebay for $39.00.. was sold none working but the unit does work wrong Dip-switch.. LOL But I did'nt get the software with it..Can anyone tell me where I can get the software from?? Not the updates..
    Thanks

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

depends what software you want. If you mean the software that usually come with the burner try searching for sonic record now and sonic my dvd
    if you mean any burner or the best etc download nero 6 ultra, dvd shrink , dvd decrypter and you cant go wrong

3. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

Thanks for you help.. Nero 6 is great.. and the same with all the other stuff..

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Since I have that drive, I'll warn you that you may have problems getting it to burn faster tha 2x even though it's supposed to be capable of 4x. Mine burns at 4x about twice a month (out of maybe 30-40 burns) and never twice in a row. On the good side, it should be reliable and you should get your $39 worth from it with no problem.

5. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

Thanks (vurbal)
    I'm useing DVD Xcopy to backup my dvd's but how can I change the speed of that that program or can I ??
    Thanks

6. vurbal

It's mostly an issue of finding the right firmware version, although in my case I've probably tried 5 or 6 different ones and it still usually won't burn faster than 2x. It starts at 4x, but at around 200MB (right after it starts actually writing I guess) it drops to 2x. It may also be a media issue, because I seem to remember reading that my Riteks aren't actually certified by Sony to burn at 4x on that drive, but I'll replace the burner before I switch media. And really - it's 15 minutes difference and I got the drive free over a year ago so I can't complain.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  7. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

Hi there vurbal:
    Did you get the proper software with your unit ??

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Jamie Sheppard[/small]

8. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I have the exact drive and had ZERO problems with.. Burns at 4X all day long.. I still have the original software if you havent located it yet..

9. vurbal

Smokey63,
    It's against forum rules to post your email address, so you should probably edit that out.

Motomatt,
    What firmware are you using and what media? I know there are a lot of people who haven't had problems, and many others like me that have, but most of the threads on this drive are so old they're hard to find.

10. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

Hi Motomatt:
    I can't find the software anywhere .. I have tryed up and down..I would shure like to get it.. but all I can find on the net is updates and thats no good with out the proper software.. lol
    I got mad at Sony.. I said why don't you guys put the software on the net.. they dont have it any where..
    I would love to get my hands on it..
    Thanks

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Smokey63

I have the Sony DRU-500 and I used it for almost 2 years without a hitch and I never bothered with the software that came with it. It still works but I've since replaced it with a PX-712A plextor.

Vurbal

I had no problem with burning MCC 002 at 4X but it was as slow as hell with Ritek G04. The time loss occured when it was writing the lead in and lead out on the G04 with each one taking about 3 minutes, but once it began the burn it ws at 4X. The DRU-500 is faster with +R media. Below is a post I did no another site using the G04.

Below are the results I obtained using Nero’s CD drive speed app and as you can see it is being read at 4X.

SONY DVD RW DRU-500A
    Serial Number AD84B961; Drive; Firmware 2.0h;
    Transfer Rate – Average 3.91x;
    Transfer Rate – Start 4.00x;
    Transfer Rate – End Speed 4.05x

12. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

Thanks again..
    I think I will get a better DVD-RW drive.. any good ones out there that don't cost alot?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you want to buy best of the cheap I'd recommend Pioneer or Lite-On but if you want to get the best then you go for Plextor.

14. vurbal

Personally I'd say the Pioneer drives are as good as you can get for burning DVDs (maybe better than Plextor but maybe not), but Plextors are the best all around because they're also high end CD burners. I'd rate the Lite-On burners as probably #3 for DVDs and #2 for CDs. Since that pretty well covers the price range of burners I wouldn't look at anything else right now.

Another consideration before you buy a new one is that you may want a dual layer burner in a few months, so it might be better to stick with what you have until then. Have you had any problems with the drive, or do you just need software? If software is the issue, you can get everything you really need for burning DVD's (DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink) for free, although I'd still recommend buying a copy of either Nero 6 or RecordNow Max for burning. If you have an old version of Nero anywhere I think you can upgrade to the full retail version of Nero 6 pretty cheap.

15. Smokey63

Smokey63 Member

I just got Nero 6 aultra and it works great.. but I guess the best DVD Burning software is DVD Xcopy..
    Thanks Guys for you help..it's nice to see people helping others..

16. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

So I guess were all good for this thread?

Vurbal, I am using Verbatim DVD +r's with the firmware Upgrade 2.1A/XP/Aspi 4.71.2

Smokey63,

If you want, I can send you my original disk if you are still are interested. The only thing I use is the Record Now DX.. The other stuff on the disk is crap anyways.. But if you want it.. PM me.. I will drop it in the mail.

Matt