1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope someone can help me

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vinny1971, Jul 27, 2007.

1. vinny1971

vinny1971 Member

Hi.

Thanks in advance if you are able to help me. Its much appreciated.

I have just swapped some items with a friend and in return received a laptop. When ever I put in a DVD into the laptop I get a pop up saying:

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

What do I do to correct this? is there a free download I can use?

Once again.

Thank you for your help.

Vinny

2. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

go to the homepage here on afterdawn and try installing the k-lite codec pack that is listed as a new updated version,(no need to search with the search bar cause the k-lite pack is posted bodly on the home page, just scroll down till u find it). this is freeware and has solved most if not all of my dvd/avi problems .

just save the file to desktop, double click, sit back, and in a few minutes things should be all set for your media player.

if not then scroll up to the top of this page and type " vlc player" in the search bar and again, dl to desktop, install, then right tick your dvd drive in the " my computer" section of your windows, (usaully found through your start button), and choose the "open with" option, then browse to your program files, open the vlc folder, tick the vlc.exe file and be sure to tick the small box towards the bottom that will tell the computer to use this software to play your dvd's every time you insert your dvd's.

or google the error that you get when trying to play the dvd and choose the most apropiate link google gives u and after a few patient moments of reading you will have in most cases a definate answer to your most frustrating situation .

good luck, hope this helps.