1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just bought a Toshiba SD 3990 today and I got some questions.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by marik1234, Jan 25, 2007.

1. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

I bought it to play PAL and NTSC DVD's, DivX and for progressive scan.

Now for my questions, btw I also bought some component cables with it for it and for progressive scan.

What's the best type of audio out there? I got progressive scan to work with it so I'm good in that area, but I'm still using those regular audio cables you get with the DVD player.

Like I said, I have aa 57" Sony HDTV(1080i), and a home theater system that I bought with it, which includes a DVD player and like a home theater audio/video control system where you connect all the surround speakers and crap like other DVD players, VCR's, and whatnot.

Anyway, so I have 5 speakers that came with the home theater, 2 surround ones to go in the back, 2 for the front, and 1 center, and a subwoofer.

What are the best audio cables I can get to have the best possible sound or how can I set everything up(inside the DVD player/home theater control system, not as in speakers and stuff) to get the best possible sound?

If you need to ask any questions go ahead.

2. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

And how good is the 3990? Is it good? Does it work with that custom menu/background for DivX movies thing?

I'll also try QPEL, GMC, and XviD on it, although I'm sure they'll work, hopefully.

3. Molder

Molder Regular member

What is the home theatre system you bought with the TV, it must have a DVD player.

Why did you get a new DVD player?

I probably would have gone for a DVD player that upconverts to 720p and 1080i or one of the new Bluray/HD DVD.

M

4. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Yea the home theater did have a DVD player but it doesnt play PAL or DivX and doesnt have progressive scan either.

What good DivX players upscale to 720p/1080i through component?

5. Molder

Molder Regular member

@marik1234,
    Have a look at Sony, Pioneer, LG, Samsung (I think)and a brand I haven't really seen here Oppo, it seem to pop up everywhere they talk about DVD upconvert. I didn't give you and model numbers as they may differ (I live in Australia).

See how you go, I would go the upconvert or even look at the LG that will play both Blueray and HD DVD.

M

6. JVC

JVC Active member

The [bold]only[/bold] dvd player that upconverts through component cables, is an Oppo. And it will only upconvert non copy protected dvds.
    You'll have to call Oppo to find out which model player it is.

The only way to get 5.1 surround is with the digital outputs and inputs. You'll have to use digital coax or optical cables, out from your sources. You may have to assign the digital inputs you use, on back of receiver, for whatever you plugged into it. Your owner's manual should tell you how to do this. You can also get it through HDMI, but since you asked about upconverting through component cables, I'm taking it for granted that you don't have HDMI.

The only tv channels you'll get in 5.1 surround, are some premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.), some PPV channels, or HD channels. All the rest will be in Pro Logic, if you set it up that way.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007