1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i just reinstalled xp and the soun wont work any suggestions

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by b0b0balde, Jun 17, 2006.

1. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

i just reinstalled xp and the soun wont work any suggestions?
    thanks in advance

2. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

You need to install sound drivers for the sound device in your computer, do you have Utilities Drivers CD that should have all drivers for your computers devices otherwise you will have to find out what type of sound controller you have in order to install its driver.

Try this link I hope it will help if you dont know what drivers you need to install. http://www.driver-soft.com/

http://www.driver-soft.com/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  3. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

You need a sound driver.

Do you have a pre made machine? Like a e-machine, dell, gateway?

If so, go to their site, find your model, and download your soundcard drivers.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Krazymale, edit your sig to conform to forum rules as your is 640x332.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

5. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

I will ddp and sorry didnt read the rules for sig size but I will. Thank you

6. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

it is a laptop acer but i cant find anything on the acer website tht will help do u no any other ways to get the sond driver

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I re formatted and reinstalled an Acer laptop a few weeks ago and the sound drivers came with XP. Check in device manager for the sound device and see if one is listed. Maybe it just needs to be enabled. If not it will tell you the type of sound chipset you have. Look for a driver from that info. There should be one on the xp disk. try update driver in device manager..

8. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

i cant find anything in drivers it wont let me enable anything

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Drivers?? you should be in control panel>hardware>device manager> sound devices> then right click the (probably) yellow question mark icom and select properties and check that the driver is installed...if not select update driver and it will either install from the xp on your HDD or ask for the xp disk. The Acer laptops use a standard chipset so unless you have a warez incomplete copy of XP I don't understand why there is any problem.

10. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

where is the update drivers page wat is a warex copy of xp?

11. ddp

warex copy of xp = illegal

12. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

no the xp copy is legal but i dnt know how to get the drivers for my particular sound card off it i dont even know if my particular sound cards drivers would be on the xp disc

do u no how i can find out?

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Have you got the volume control turned up??
    Otherwise It's already been answered.

Start > control panel > hardware > device manager > sound devices

If a yellow "?" mark symbol right click and select properties. then check for the existence of the drivers..they will be called whatever and manufacturer will be Microsoft.. Check that the "use this device" box is enabled. If there is no driver listed click "update driver" and the screen will either go to a loading screen or ask for the xp disk. If at that point it says the drivers can't be loaded take note of the make and model (chipset) of the sound device and post that info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  14. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

when i go to try and enable a device its like i dont have 1 it wont let me select enable

15. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

when i try to update driver using the xp disc it says the hardwar was not installed cos windows cannot find te nessecary info. how to i update via the internet?

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Ahh the xp classic.. When it told you that info it should have told you the name of the driver it was looking for. Try again and take note of the name of the file.. Then go and hunt for it. Device manager should list the name of the sound device. Chances are it's a C-Media chipset.

17. ddp

what is the motherboard chipset as in intel, sis, via or amd?

18. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

i dont know how do u find that out?

19. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

ok dude, i used to have the same problem as you, let me guess, you installed from the XP installtion CDROM and the sound dont work, instead alll you get are those annoying pc speaker beeps, well if you have an intel board, you should if you have an intel processor sort thing, well anyway, you prolly have a AC97 sound card or whatever its called, what you need to do is download the sound driver, go to the add hardware wizard in control panel, then once it asks whether the hardware is connected, click yes, and select the sound driver thing with the mouse, it should have a yellow question mark bubble thing next to it, one that has happened, click next and at the screen where it asks to search for the driver in locations, select the specific location where the sound driver is located at, make sure you unzipped the driver, then once navigated there, uncheck the box that will search removeable devices, then just click next and it should install itself.

i have created myself a cusom installer for the driver cause it occasionally happens to me, but since i am on dialup i cant upload a 11 mb file to the net, so maybe find on on:
    http://www.driversguide.com
    ^^^
    im pretty sure thats the addy

if not try the AC97 homepage

hope this helps in some way shape or form

20. b0b0balde

b0b0balde Member

thanks so much dudes finall got rid of those annoying beeps. do u know any sotware for burning dvds or shud i strt a new thread 4 tht