1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i keep getting knocked off line, can you help me"

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by finmccool, Jul 24, 2007.

1. finmccool

finmccool Member

can anybody tell me why i keep on getting knocked off line ?i have two labtops one of them is a new dell with vista on it , and the other is a old labtop with windows 98" on it , im useind a dail up line on the two of them , but when i go on line with the new dell it kicks me off line, after 5mins, but i can stay on line all day on the old 98" pc, can anybody tell me why its doing this?? thank you for your time...

2. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

sorry double post

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

not sure about vista but in xp under device manager i would tell you to try this... find your modem and double click it and go to power management and uncheck where it says "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" or something similar...but like i said dont know about vista just thought maybe was something to the like in vista,.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  4. LaPapita

LaPapita Member

i have the same problem finmccool.

I guess windows vista automatically disconnects a dial-up connection if it's struggling or something.

5. finmccool

finmccool Member

hi lapapita" im not sure what make of pc you have with the vista, mine is a dell 6400, so i was on to them , and there are not sure about this problem , they said i was totry to update the modem drivers , and see if it will work then, the gave me the file number from their site"its (r139434.exe, ill let you know if it works , if i can get on line to download it", by the way how long can you stay on line for? with your pc , and what make is it? i think the max i have ever being on line for was 7 mins, ( cheers )

6. LaPapita

LaPapita Member

well, I've been able to stay online for a few hours...but that's if I don't download anything. I use it to read stuff on forums, but I've had more than enough times where it just cuts off randomly.

btw, my laptop is:

Gateway model MT6456
    Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0, build 6000
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile technology
    894 MB RAM