1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Killed Grub....help!, cant boot linux.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by kshahid, Jun 22, 2006.

1. kshahid

kshahid Member

First of all, thanks to anyone who's going to help me out with this because i have no clue. I installed Suse 10.1 on an enternal (usb) 300gb Hard drive with windows on my internal primary hard drive. Everything worked fine.

I decided to change GRUB settings because whenever my external harddrive wasn't connected to my computer nothing would boot since the GRUB files (i think) were on the external hard drive whilst GRUB had taken over the MBR of the primary drive (i'm not sure of my terminology here). This reaulted in GRUB not workin at all. I got impatient, and since this is my first try with linux, i just used the 'fix mbr' command to return my internal hard drive to normal so i could boot windows.

My problem now is that i have a perfectly fine linux installation hanging around on my external hard drive and i have no clue how to boot it. I would ideally like GRUB and everyhting dependant installed on the external hard drive. I would like a setup where if i have pluged in the external hard drive then i get the option of booting linux, otherwise i should still be able to boot to windows.

I've read a few articles on how to install GRUB but i either didnt understand it or it just didnt work, i ended up with errors about files missing and what not. Please help.

thanks.

2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i have been curious about this one too, perhaps see whether there are any floppy disk boot loaders available so that whenever you want to boot linux, you insert the floppy disk and boot.

otherwise i dont know, so...

BUMP!!

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

4. kshahid

kshahid Member

I managed to boot linux rom the instalation DVD and selected boot installed system. Then just change the boot loader options an SUSE will install the bootloader again.