1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a dma, pio mode expert !

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by zenarrrow, Apr 29, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK everything was going fine. I had replaced my NEC DVD+RW 1100A with a pioneer 109. Read and write rate was fantastic. Then I reinstalled my NEC to run next to it. I had problems with the read and write speeds with it. Max was 1.4. I figured out that it was set on master still so I took it out and switched it over to slave. Still slow. My pioneer was still reading at around 10x, burn at 4x regardless. So I checked the PIO DMA mode the secondary IDE channel was pio only on device 1 device 0 was dma if available, all this I tell ya on secondary channel. So I uninstalled it and rebooted now device 0 and 1 are both "pio only" and my pioneer reads at a whooping 1.9 and the NEC still at 1.4. I have tried many times to unistall it switching to dma in available in the "Transfer mode box" Any ideas?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I guess you answered your own question. Dump the NEC burner. But, before you do, make sure that the Pioneer is actually set as master and not CS (Cable Select). If it is set as CS, set it to master, and try the combo again.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try one of them as slave to your hd to see if solve dma/pio problem

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try installing the 2 burners on different IDE channels. On some systems you get problems with 2 burners on the same IDE channel. This is usually with 2 drives from the same manufacturer but it may be the problem with your drives even though they are different. Worth a try.

Jerry

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK I just took out the NEC and the problem is still their. How do I set it to slave to the harddrive? Like I said before I put in both of them the pioneer was working fine. Should I unplug the pioneer as well and see if it will reboot to DMA I do believe it is in the comp not the drive itself. I guess I will try that and see if it goes back to DMA first, if not then I guess I have isolated the prob to either drive or pc.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My guess is you want the Pioneer as your primary burner. If so then you want to set the jumper on the back of the NEC to the SLAVE position and plug it into the same IDE cable as your primary hard drive that has your OS on it. Then set the jumper on the Pioneer to MASTER and plug it into the other IDE cable. Then go into your device manager and remove both burners if they show, and also remove both IDE controller channels. Then re-boot and see if Windows installs everything the right way.

Jerry

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you everyone, I took out my NEC, defraged and now my Pioneer drive is back in DMA. Guess I will live with just the one burner. Sorry to take up your time, cheers ---zen--->

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn