1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need a good PDA

Discussion in 'PDA discussion' started by gilyons, Mar 12, 2006.

1. gilyons

gilyons Member

I heard so many bad storys about apalm i was thinking of getting a palm tungsten e2 but i am scared can anyone suggest a decentlypriced good pda. dores not have to be from palm

2. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

Do you know what PPC means? Take a look at what Dell and HP (websites) have to offer.

I had a Palm handheld years ago but ever since I had my HP hp2214, now hx2214 I will not be going back to Palm.

3. priusone

priusone Member

Hi there. In regards to the above poster, I had quite the opposite experience. I had a PPC for about a year, and after wanting to through it out the window, drive over it, or put it in the garbage disposal, I finally, reluctantly, went to Palm.

Now, what we need to know is what you want out of a handheld. For example, here is what I do and don't want...

A stable OS... Palm. PPC crash quite often. I just got off a call with Garmin (Their iQue line is nothing but amazing) and the tech guy agreed with me; PPC crash way more than Palm. This is the main reason I left PPC. Of the two that I had owned, they crashed at least (usually way more) once a day. True, I did use it quite a bit.

Lots of apps... PPC. Palm has tons of apps, but PPC have a lot more. Truthfully, I haven't found an app that I didn't want for the Palm.

Clear Screen... Palm / VGA PPC. I went from an HP to an iQue 3600, so I went from 320x240 to 480x320. Man, the Palm has a beautiful screen. The new PPC's VGA screens are very nice, but, well, I like how my Treo 650 has a really small, high res screen.

Features... well, both. Both Palm and PPC have handhelds with bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, ext. When I was deployed to Iraq, I took an iQue 3600 with me. It didn't have bluetooth or wifi, but that can be added via an SDOI card (but, I'd never do it). Upon returning stateside, I picked up a Treo 650. Talk about being in love with your electronics. I love this little sucker. With Garmins GPS 10, bluetooth transmitter, I now have a cell phone that can sync up with my computer to backup my info, it can do DUN for the laptop when I'm out of the house, via bluetooth, it can talk me through town till I get where I need to go via Garmins GPS unit, and the keyboard, yeah, it's small, but I got used to it.

Battery life... depends on the unit. The HP had about a three hour battery life, so did the iQue (unless the GPS was on). The Treo can get over 5 hours, but newer Palms and PPC have even longer ones from what I understand.

Ram and Processer Speed... Okay, this is where people make mistakes. They see these 614Mhz PPC and get all hot and heavy. So, why is Palm further behind on the processor curve? Easy, because they can without affecting performance. On my HP, if I opened a document to read (oh, say, 100k or more) I'd sit there and watch that stupid four color circle spin, the whole while I imagined taping it to the target the next time I went to the range. With the Palm, man, click a document, wait a second, and bam. Plus, that extra 160x80 pixels makes reading documents a lot easier. As far as ram goes. yeah, ram is great, but anything over 64Megs, and you may start paying to much. Of you can land 128Megs for a good price, cool, but if not, just install your apps to your SD or flash card.

Why not give us an idea of what you are looking for in a handheld, and we can give you an idea of what is out there. Dream up what you would be doing with it. Watching movies, listening to music, writing reports, ext. Then you can further decide if you want the simplicity of Palm, or the Windows-like feel of the PPC.

Oh, and one more thing, I had a 400Mhz HP (with a dedicated graphics co-processor) and 64Megs of ram, and my 200Mhz iQue, with only 32Megs of ram, absolutely stomped it. Me, I'm impatient. I want stuff now, I don't like crashes, and I like my mobile devices to be simple. At home I'm a die-hard Windows user, but when I'm in the car, at the VA or out hiking around, I'm a Palm kind of guy.

I look forward to your response.

Prius.