1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question I need a photo viewer and editor fo Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by floccinaucini, Dec 26, 2020.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is not a browser issue as that error shows up on ie11 & chrome.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It was a website issue.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I hope it does what you want it to do. If you ever decide to start working under the hood and want to learn some of its more advanced features then come on back and ask away. That being said you don't need a reason other than curiosity to come. Enjoy.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Attached Files:

5. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

I most certainly will :):):)

I shall save this link for future. From Oldversions I got their most popular download, version 3.08 which is 'flying' on XP. So I'll stick with it for the moment. Thank you.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You're welcome!

7. technoob

technoob Member

Fotografix Portable, if anyone else hasn't suggested it yet.
    It has some basic filters, basic tools, saves to multiple common formats (jpg, png, gif and more, even its own fgx file format lol), has layers and alpha support, very fast to load and very light-weight.
    The only problem : if you close it unproperly then you re-launch it, it will close automatically and you'll have to launch it again (I guess that's something related to the register of the program that needs to clean up after a forced closure).

Or

theGimp
    A complete photo-editor, but it takes years to load, lol.

Or

MicrosoftPa-
    just kidding

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It has loads of plugins! I used to use PhotoShop, then Gimp, and now I exclusively use Paint.net. I found Gimp painfully slow even on a high-end home built computer. Some years ago I discovered how effective Paint.net is for PhotoShopping. I've not had the issue of improperly closing and then relaunching you've described. In fact I have never had it crash, lock, or fail to work exactly as I expected it to. You might have another underlying issue.

Maybe it's time to start a Paint.net thread?

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Here's an example of some of the things you can do with Paint.net

Below is photo taken by a friend who loves posting them on Facebook. Sometimes when I look at a photo I don't always see it the way they do, and sometimes gets me into a little trouble is a before and after image with second being what I like to refer to as quick and dirty Shops.

Attached Files:

10. technoob

technoob Member

cool, but tbh that dino looks like receiving a 11am (or morning full sun) ligh source,while the background suggests it's dawn (or dusk). sorry I'm an artist so that's the first thing I've noticed.

anyway, yeah, I've known Paint.Net, it's very used by many. Gimp is one of my favourite because that's actually the first alternative to photoshop I can think of... but Paint.net can be interesting as well, I have to try it ;)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There's a reason why I call them quick and dirty. Now look at the image and notice the trail of sunlight on the water lining up with its back.

Attached Files:

12. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

So here I am again to bother you :) I have been using Paint.net for a few days. I also downloaded FastStone Image Viewer 7.5 (post #4 above), because it is portable and I can ditch it if I don't like it. I have decided to keep both. FastStone has a feature that is very helpful to me. There is a tab named 'Hold down to see original image'. In the middle of editing I can have a look at the original anytime, with this tab. I couldn't find anything similar in Paint.net

Is it possible to undo the HD effect of images. I find most HD stuff make people look like zombies. Some of them are almost like the human figures you see in children's cartoons. Gone are the days that people looked like humans in photos, TV and even movies. Please look at the 2 links below. Are there any human beings on this planet who look like these? Is it possible to change what HD has done to the human skin in these photos?

http://thewowstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/beautiful_women_blurred_.jpg

https://www.pixelstalk.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Beautiful-Girl-Pictures-And-Wallpapers.jpg

Thank you

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

To do a before and after just open the same photo twice or ever three times in Paint.net, and then click the images at the top back and forth. It's quicker than switching tabs. The issues in the photos you've linked to is a because they're brushed photos of highly made up women, and there is really nothing you can do for that. The skin textures are hidden and brushed out.

This is also an HD photo.

Attached Files:

floccinaucini likes this.
  14. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

Oh, all right. I see the difference when I look at your HD photo. I was watching a movie the other day on TV and every one in it looked horrible, even worse than the second photo I uploaded above :eek: Thank you for the tip about seeing the original image in Paint.net.

Just FYI, the 'Hold down to see original image' button in FastStone does not cause you to switch tabs. It just flips the same image you are editing, at any time during editing, to its original image as long as you hold the button down.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have FastStone installed but I don't seem to use it much. It's more focused on viewing and organizing than manipulating, and I'm a manipulator Paint.net is more geared toward manipulating images, especially with all the available plugins, and that's why I use it. If you enjoy using an application for any reason that suits you then that's all the justification you need.

16. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

Can you please tell me a little about these plugins please?

Sophocles likes this.
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Plugins offer a number of additional features that allow you to use the application creatively. I use them give images a comic book appearance, to create a sort of homemade comic book strip, or to add frames to an image. Here is a list of some of the available plugins.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15260-plugin-index/

floccinaucini likes this.
  18. floccinaucini

floccinaucini Member

Thank you. I am going to have fun with these plugins :D

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You're welcome. Get creative, loose your imagination, and find out what you can do.