1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a reccommendation

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by bite_me, Jul 11, 2002.

1. bite_me

bite_me Guest

I'm making VCD's ... copying files from my hard drive to a CD disk..

I use NERO, virtual dub, TPGE and my reader is a HP CD writer plus 9110i

I'm watching these VCD's on my home TV via a Toshiba SD-5700

That being said, when I burn these, the quality sucks... I'm thinking it's bad media

what type do you reccomend?

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

What do you mean by "quality sucks"? The media should not have an effect to the image quality.

3. bite_me

bite_me Guest

What I mean by quality.... I'm trying to watch these movies on a 57 inch projection TV... nothing is really that clear.. letters are hard to read.. it's blurry.. just not a good dpicture..I also have trouble with the actual playback.. every once in awhie.. the video and the audio freeze up.. probably for about 6-10 secs.. then it starts again.. very frustrating.

I've been told it's a "media issue"... in that I need to try different brands to get the best one... I was told to try Maxell CD-80 XL and TDK...

If you don't think it's he media...other ideas?

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

The poor quality of the picture is not media related. VCD in general has quite poor quality and when that is combined to your large TV...SVCD on the other hand should be a lot better - see Afterdawn.com articles for more on that, or post at the according forum room.

But the fact that you experience player freezes might be media related. Browse around this forum and you'll find media reviews and also discussion about DVD players which seem to be quite picky.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

What I understood from your very confusing mail is that you have some _already encoded_ AVI files from the Net and you're re-encoding them somehow to VCD format and burn them to CD, am I right?

6. dRD

And this thread is definately in wrong place, I move it now.

7. bite_me

bite_me Guest

yes... you are correct I think..

I am downloading movies via IRC to my hard drive... I then follow this guide

http://www.vcdhelp.com/divxtovcd.htm except I don't use the VCD easy at the end.. I burn with Nero

hope that info helps... appreciate any help

8. dRD

So, you're taking already crappy-lossy-compressed (well, not necessary crappy, but lossy anyway) and encode it to another lossy format -- only thing what you expect is that the quality _will_ suck. Always try to maintain one lossy step at max -- rip from DVD to VCD and that's it.

But as you already have these clips in DivX/AVI, check if your Toshiba plays SVCDs. If it does, re-encode the clips to SVCD and you lose less quality.

9. bite_me

bite_me Guest

according the owners manual, it doesn't play SVCD

thanks for your help.... I guess bad quality is here to stay