1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help booting from my external dvd drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by vincetor, Jun 7, 2009.

1. vincetor

vincetor Member

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-N250E laptop and the dvd drive is broken. I would like to install Linux Mint 6 with an external USB DVD Drive. Is there a way I could use the drive to install it? I have Windows Vista Home Premium, if that helps.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go into the bios & change the boot drive sequence so that the usb drive is enabled & 1st. ran into that problem with a hp laptop as it's dvd drive had problems reading disks.

3. Yezinki

Yezinki Member

Not possible since it's BIOS does not have the option of external USB optical drive.........just 1 default one.

4. Yezinki

Yezinki Member

Don't believe what ddp says.......he's just replying for the sake of replyin.............

5. ddp

Yezinki, what is your problem? i don't post just for the hell of it like you do. it took you 2 posts to say that so i guess your post padding which is a forum rule no no. is it my fault you are just a junior member & i'm a moderator?

6. Yezinki

Yezinki Member

Firstly I don't have a problem.

Secondly you could be the KING instead of a mod, but what you are suggesting to forum member is completly untrue, false & misguiding.

Do your home work before you suggest.

I might be a member only but I only reply to what I know about......btw who made you a mod.

If you are that smart kindly reply to my 3 posts.......2 here & 1 in Home Theatre section.

Regards & Thanks!!

7. ddp

Yezinki, did you go & check to see if vincetor's laptop bios can't boot from external USB optical drive because i didn't? i just suggested to try it as it worked on a hp laptop i was working on & it didn't have that option in the bios to boot from external rom drive. i was a bit surprised that it booted from xp cd so can't hurt vincetor to try it.

8. Yezinki

Yezinki Member

No Sir, I didn't happen to go check vicent's laptop bios....witty though.

Btw Sir, I do own a similar exact model laptop.

Regards!