1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help Building A PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by sk8retard, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sk8retard

sk8retard Guest

Im gonna admit it i dont know anything about how a computer works and i am very inrested in how an operating system works. I recently tore apart an old computer that i have to see what the inside is like i took everything out and cleaned it. There is something wrong with it that makes it not work so i was wondering if there was a website that anyone can direct me to that will teach me about how a computer runs and how the mother board works and what everything does.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The best place without wishing to brag, is here. Have a browse through the official PC building thread and see what you think.

3. bean55

bean55 Member

That's how I started also, just taking one apart and putting it back together. Even better when it actually worked when finished.

bean55

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

what i used to do is take out the part then install it back, same with windows, uninstall then install it again. These are pretty easy

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Essentially I upgraded my PC part by part until I'd learnt the lot, doing all of it with someone there to check what I was doing. After I'd done all of them, I did it all at once (re-cased my PC), and after that I was sorted. All of this means I was able to re-case my server completely in about an hour and a half.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

have you tried to timing yourself putting together a most component computer? like 2 gpu, huge heatsink, many fans, many hdd, and drives? It's gonna be interesting

do you watch "Chuck"

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never properly timed myself, I tend to find I think the job's gone quickly, when actually it's taken ages. How time flies when you're having fun! (or cutting yourself on sharp metal edges... sigh)
    Installing GPUs takes seconds, that's no issue, a Thermalright heatsink takes a few minutes primarily because of the backplate and the damn fan clips. HDDs takes seconds too if you have a tool-less case. optical drives should take seconds too if you have a coolermaster, in my NZXT case the tool-less system for the drives is dump, so I screw them in myself, that takes maybe a couple of minutes per drive.
    The longest part is probably making sure you get the front panel connectors right and tidying up the cables.

8. bean55

bean55 Member

Yeah your right there,can be time consuming

bean55

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Took me about 20mins to build mine, so HAH! Take that! lol

That's WITH tidying up cables. Of course I don't have a slew of heatsinks to install like you, so that might be why I'm faster... and better looking.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

wow, what a useful post...

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Jeez Sam, lighten up. It's not like I'm making short useless posts to increase my rank or anything. It was just a joke... except for the better looking part lol.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yet you moan when anyone brings up an old thread, even if it's less than a week...
    Anyway, I'm not continuing this in this guy's thread.