1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help finding a new burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hurrcane, Dec 24, 2004.

1. hurrcane

hurrcane Member

My HP burner just crapped out, and I need to find a new one, that is user friendly, I use dvd x-copy platinum. I am considering Plextor 712A. Can anyone reccommend any others?

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

I have a Plextor PX-712A,it's a great drive why ruin it with Xcopy Platinum!Xcopy does not let you control burn speed so you will need to use 2.4x or 4x media to keep the burn speed down.Why not upgrade your software as well DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are two excellent FREE programs available here http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    There are plenty of guides on how to use them here at Afterdawn.

3. The_Id

The_Id Member

I'd like to bump this message with a new question for you guys. I have a TDK 440N +/- recorder from 2 years ago that just burned it's way into it's own grave.

So, I need a new burner, but I can't seem to find a qualified guide or faq detailing the best my 150 dollar can buy. Can anyone recommend to me either a) a dvd burner drive faq b) the "best" burner on the market

I'm not really interested in dual layer, just reliability. Thank you everyone for your help through the past 2 years!

4. Willmatic

Willmatic Guest

Nowadays you can get a really decent burner for under $100. I puchased an NEC 3500 for about $70 a couple of months ago and it works beautifully. It burns to both + and - formats at 16x, and burns to dl media. While blank dl media is still relatively expensive, eventually the price will drop and it'll be the difference between perfect 1-1 copies and having to compress to fit to a single layer dvd-r. In other words, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

5. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Agree, NEC 3500 is great choice and a terrific buy at around $70. Likwise for Pioneer DVR-108. Similar specs and price. Can't go wrong with either. Check prices at Newegg.com

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your 2 top choices would be Plextor and then Pioneer in that order. Nec and Sony would be next choices. Pay the couple extra bucks for dual layer. The price of the dual layer media will come down at some point.

Jerry

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I went with the NEC 3500 because it has its own firmware board. Plus the guys who developed DVD Decrypter recommended it, which was what sold me on it.

8. TuVan

TuVan Member

my own experience? i would choose the sony burner, you can buy the cheapest DVD-R at any place, Sony would write and read them all, even the ones you buy at Flea market for like 10cents/ disk, the pics are still look great and great quality.

9. wild77

wild77 Guest

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have 2 108s, they have performed flawlessly. They work with my X-copy products to great effect.