1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I NEED HELP...PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by newboy, Oct 29, 2002.

1. newboy

newboy Guest

I have been struggling for a week now with all of the information in the forums and have finally decided to break down and beg for assistance. I am attempting to backup a DVD (copyrighted) to DVD-R. Using DVD Decrypter I ripped the DVD to the hard drive and ended up with two resulting files: a m2v video file and an ac3 audio file. Using DVD2AVI I converted the m2v video into d2v and the ac3 audio into an mpeg1. Using TMPGEnc I selected the d2v video file and the mpeg1 audio file and encoded it all into one MPEG-2 file. The movie looks and sounds great if played on the computer through the MPEG player, but it will not burn to a DVD-R. Am I missing a huge step somewhere? It almost seemed too easy, and maybe that is why it isn't working. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FYI, I am using PIV, Windows XP and Sony's "Click to DVD" authoring and burning software.

2. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

You need to rip .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files from the DVD using DVDdecrypter. If the DVD is larger than 4.37G. If it smaller, you can use DVDdecrypter to burn an image and then burn to DVD-R.

3. newboy

newboy Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I can tell by your posts that you are one of the more knowledgable individuals here.

So are you saying that the .vob .ifo and .bup files would not have already been selected to be ripped in DVD Decrypter's default settings? After ensuring that I have ripped all of those files, do I still follow the same process if the file is larger than 4.37 GB, i.e. use DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc? Thanks.

4. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

newboy,
    Did you read this http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm ? This guide will give you step by step instructions using DVDdecrypter. It will tell you how to determine if the DVD is small enough to fit on one DVD-R.

Then, if your DVD is too big for one disc you will use 'file' mode in DVDdecrypter to rip the files to your hard drive. You will then need Ifoedit and a guide from http://www.doom9.org. You may also want to reencode, for that I use Rempeg2. I don't use Tmpeg but I've read it's a good program. Or, you may opt to split the movie to two DVD-Rs. When you are ready to burn there are a whole slew of options from IMgtools&DVDdecrypter to Nero or RecordNow.

"You are entering a world of pain Smokey"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. newboy

newboy Guest

menmaddi,

Thanks for the help. The guides are excellent. I found my way through IFOedit and removed the unncecessary stuff. Unfortunately, the file size was still larger than 4.7 GB, so I ran it through TMPGEnc and now have a MPEG that is 4.3 GB. Perfect!! Plays on the computer and looks great. I am trying to use Nero to author/burn, but the program does not accept MPEG format. Do I need some conversion program or is there a way to author and burn the MPEG directly to DVD-R. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much help in the guides on burning an MPEG file. I apologize in advance if it was right in front of my face and I somehow missed it. Thanks again for your help.

6. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I'm not familiar with Tmpegenc(it kept freezing my machine) but if you go that route you will need 'DVD2AVI' first then 'Tmpegenc'. You'll end up with seperate audio and video files that you'll have to remux together again. If your not careful you can end up with sync issues.

I use Rempeg, it does not require any other program. It creates an .m2v file that can be remuxed in Ifoedit, leaving you with smaller .VOB files that you can burn with Nero. If you want to go one more step, you can download 'Imgtool' and use it to burn an image after editing. Then you can use DVDdecrypter to burn instead of Nero.