1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with 2 things. Nero 7 users please look.

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by ArkadiyG, May 28, 2007.

1. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

1. How do I burn subtitles with my movie in Nero 7?

2. I downloaded russian subtitles from open subtitles, and well, they aren't russian, they are a bunch of symbols, how do I turn them into russian? Example: ÏÈÐÀÒÛ ÊÀÐÈÁÑÊÎÃÎ ÌÎÐß

2. gdw35

gdw35 Member

It appears that you do not have the correct font.

Are you able to view the subtitles in other application?

I am not sure how Nero adds the subtitles but I suspect it needs to have a cyrilic font for them to be able to make sense to you, and not just display as garbage.

3. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

The subtitles are an SRT file, and when I open them in notepad that's what comes up, and when I use them as subs fr the movie in media player classic, that comes up too. As far as the Nero question, screw it, I'll just hard encode it to the file or whatever. I need an answer as to how to turn those symbols into russian.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The problem is that the subtitles aren't unicode and you don't have the correct character encoding set. Like the above displays fine when I manually change the encoding for this page to Cyrillic (windows-1251) but not with the default encoding of Western. If it was unicode it wouldn't be an issue since you can have Cyrillic and Western at the same time.

ПИРАТЫ КАРИБСКОГО МОРЯ

Nero as far as I know doesn't support subs. Better to use an authoring app that supports subtitles, then either convert to unicode or set the encoding correctly when converting from text to bitmap.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  5. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

How would I convert it to Unicode? I see the russian in your post so it's not too hard, right?

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You see it because it is unicode. First thing you need to do is use the correct character set, then you can convert it to unicode if you want. Got to have something to convert first though.

7. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

So I got the file in notepad like how it is in my original post, what's my next step?

8. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Page won't load. But once again if you aren't seeing things correctly, then it would be a matter of the wrong character set. You can go into your browser settings and set the character encoding to Japanese (there are three options I think). Fact is though if it is a site that allows numerous people to upload contenet, then there could be several different encodings going on.

As for notepad. I am not sure, perhaps because I don't have Cyrillic support installed, but setting the character encoding makes no difference here. Fact is that if you do have the support installed and you do change the encoding, then that only means that notepad will display it correctly. If you open the subs in say Subtitle Workshop, then they will look wrong again until you set it to Cyrillic, same goes for anything else that opens it. Converting to unicode would solve this, however not all apps can handle Unicode (Subtitle Workshop for instance I don't think can). VSFilter can though. Easiest way to convert to unicode is probably to drag the subs into your browser, set the encoding to 1251, copy/paste into notepad and save as UTF-8/unicode (you should get a warning if you don't).

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  10. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

I opened the subs in firefox, how do I set the encoding in FF?

11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

View-->Character Encoding.

12. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Alright, so I changed it, and it looked fine in FF, I opened MS Word and did the same thing, and then saved it, but it turned back to those characters, how do I set it permanently?

13. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Also, I opened it in notepad after saving it as Cyrillic in FF, and when I go to format font, it has it as Cyrillic, but the symbols stay. What now?

14. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You can't set it perminantly. This is what I was saying. Upto whatever app that opens it to set the correct character encoding and there is no header that says what that is (in HTML there is). That is the whole point of ANSI and why I bought up unicode or rather why it was created. It alows for all commonly used characters with the same set, so you can have Cyrillic, Western, Japanese, etc. all at the same time. ANSI on the other hand reuses characters for the different non western sets, so unless you are using the correct encoding, then you get the wrong symbols.

So my other point was whilst you can convert to unicode (I explained how) some apps won't handle it and it is unecessary anyway since you are going to convert anyway. You just need to set the correct encoding when you convert and you are done. The advantage of unicode is that if it is supported, then you don't need to set anything.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  15. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Ah so confusing, I don't get what you're saying I have to do. I'm trying to just get it in russian to put them on the movie so I can burn it, and I've saved it in the right format, but it turns out the same way, so what can I do? In steps please.

16. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It's simple. ANSI reuses characters. Open the file as windows-1251 and you get the correct characters. Resave the file and you haven't changed anything. All you did was make the program you were opening it in use the correct character set. Open the file as 8859-1 or some other encoding and you will still get the wrong characters. Save the file as unicode and no matter what, as long as the app supports unicode, then you get the correct characters since with unicode characters aren't reused.

As I said converting to unicode is fine, however uncessary if you just want to hardsub.
    All you need is something like:
    avisource("movie.avi")
    textsub("movie.srt",204)

204 tells vsfilter that the encoding is Russian, otherwise you will get the symbols in your first post. Same could be done with directvobsub or if you wanted to avoid hard subbing, you should be able to set the correct encoding when authoring with subs.

VSfilter supports unicode, so you could convert to unicode and leave the 204 out.

17. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Alright, more understandable for me now. However, I'm very computer illiterate when it comes to this stuff, so how would I go about doing all of that in notepad?

And after it's fixed, exactly what do I do and what do I use to either attach the subs to the movie file or burn the subs to a disc with the movie?

18. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Do you have aim or msn? I'd feel it would be much easier if I could just chat with you and you can walk me through it so I can stop bugging you day by day with my questions.

19. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well assuming by "burn subtitles with my movie" you meant convert to DVD video with subtitles. As far as I know Nero doesn't actually support subs. That means the only way you can do subs is to hard encode them.

If you did actually mean burn the movie, then you just start an ISO data compilation and drag both files over. Upto the player to support Russian encoding though. For a DivX compatible SAP (Stand Alone Player) you could remux to a divx file with xsubs. xsubs are bitmap based, so as long as you set the correct encoding when converting, then they will always display correctly. Same goes for DVD video with a separate subtitle stream.

20. ArkadiyG

ArkadiyG Regular member

Alright, so to hard encode with the right russian encoding, whtat do I do and what programs do I use? Links?