1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my burner, pleeeease

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by kaleal, Sep 1, 2003.

1. kaleal

kaleal Member

My burner no longer read's cdr's correctly. Everytime i put one in it read's it as a cdrw and i have no idea why.

I have a 24/10/40x tdk velo cd writer running windows xp.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Packet write software installed (Nero InCD, Roxio DirectCD)?

Shoey :)

3. kaleal

kaleal Member

I didnt have InCd installed before i read this post but i installed it and im still having the same problem. The cd burner won't even read regular cd's properly. I just put in my printer software cd and it read it as a audio cd with one track. Iv'e honestly tried everything to upgrading the software (and downgrading) updated my firmware, opening my computer to make sure the everythin is plugged in correctly. *sigh* this sucks sooo much, pleease someone heeeeeeeelp meee.

I'm probably gonna have to get it repaired (if thats even possible) or something..but i really dont wanna hear that.

Oh yeah i should probably note a while back my burner also stopped burning higher than 12x...it would just freeze and lock up higher than that. It wasn't a big deal as long as i could still burn the cd however then i started to have this problem. It went from doing this everynow and then (reading the cdr as a cdrw/not being able to read regular cds) to all the time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Uninstall all packet writing software>reboot>and play all types of different file types backed up to a cd-r and see if your burner correctly recognizes them.
    You "might " have ASPI layer conflicts..

ASPI: http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2003
  5. kaleal

kaleal Member

Nothings working...f it. *sigh*

Is there anyway my burner can be repaired??

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Were you getting a "power calibration error" or "fixation error"? If so you burner is probably on its last legs. You might consider a firmware update but i dont know if that may help. You should probably also not place any trust into anything that burns successfully either. If you do consider getting a burner, might you consider getting an ASUS a LiteOn burner? (i can personally vouch for ASUS burners.... ive got one and it serves me very well).

7. kaleal

kaleal Member

I was getting a power calibration error..not the fixation one. But the thing is ever since i got my burner i would get a power calibration error every now and then...it wasnt a common thing or anything..maybe like once every 3 or 400 hundred burns. but still can my burner be repaired or do i have to buy a new one...

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I recommend you try a firmware flash and if that don't fix, then consider a new cd burner as they are quite cheap these days. Preferably a Asus, LiteOn, Memorex MAXX or Polaroid BurnMAXX.

The Firmware Page:http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    MTKWin Flash
    http://digi.rpc1.org/mwf.htm

Shoey :)

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If you have been getting power calibration errors, Im afraid i have to tell you odds are your burner is on its last legs.

You can also get another TDK VeloCD (they are very good drives in general, no saracasm intended)

:)