1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my DVD player,

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by bear3351, Mar 5, 2007.

1. bear3351

bear3351 Member

I need help with my DVD player, Samsung HD950

While watching movies, I started noticing this water coloring effects, it almost looks like cartoons, specially during dark scenes.

I looked at the settings of the DVD player and noticed the resolution was set at 1080i, I changed this down to 720p which is what I think my TV can handle. But no changes in the quality of the picture. Is there anything I can do to improve the picture? Do I have the right settings? Could it be the cable?

I only have this problem while watching the DVD player, regular HDTV reception and color is great.

TV Model: Samsung HL-R6167W From the specs, Resolution:1280x720. Broadcast Format Supported: 480i - 480p - 720p - 1080i

DVD Model: Samsung DVD HD-950

I have them hooked up using the HDMI cable while the sound is connected using an optical cable to the receiver.

A friend of mine told me that is the DVD. Is he right? I may need to buy a better DVD player that won't give me these problems. I am thinking about the Toshiba HD-A2. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

2. onya

onya Guest

Are you watching a DVD that has been burned from AVI files? Some software, usually trial versions, will place a watermark on the converted image. This is to encourage you to purchase the "full" copy. (no legal way around it..sorry) Does this scenario fit?

As for purshasing a new or different brand of player, that's up to yourself. I'm slightly biased towards Toshiba........ but this is from personal experience of audio equipment, from a very long time ago. Post back to let us know how you get on. :)

Cheers.

3. bear3351

bear3351 Member

No, what I see is not a water mark, the items on the screen look like they were painted using water colors, usually happens on the dark colors and face tones.
    I am thinking about hiring someone to calibrate the system, it's really bothering me.