1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with upgrading my hardrive on my Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by drop442, Apr 21, 2009.

1. drop442

drop442 Member

I have an xbox that has been softmodded. I used the hotswapping method to mod it. However in the process of modding it the backup feature didnt work it was telling me that it could not write to a disk or something alng those lines. The soft mod worked just fine and it is having no problems. However I do want to upgrade my harddrive and I need the eeprom.bin to be able to do so. Now I have tried using evox as my dash and using the backup feature on it to get my eeprom and alas it did nothing just said backing up with a little smiley face and then... well nothing. Is there any other program that I could use to get my eeprom without building that eeprom reader (since I am not that good at building thinds like that and am too afraid to mess things up more) to get this file so I may be able to switch out my harddrive.

I also really would like this file because I would really like to have it for backup reasons incase anything happens to my xbox... like some idiot runs xbox life or something.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me... and please don't flame me I am not a noob and YES I read just about every forum abuot these issues and just have not been able to come up with anything.

Thank you!

2. varnull

varnull Guest

you haven't read very far.. the eeprom backup will have been written to the hdd.. somewhere like E:\backup\dash\eeprom

ftp in and look for it :)

3. drop442

drop442 Member

I have ftp'd into my xbox and connot find the eeprom at all. could someone give me a link to a good version of evox that I might use and I will try it over again. I have just been getting very frustrated cuz no matter what I cant seem to get this file and I really would give anything to be able to have it so I can put a largwe harddrive into my xbox.

I mean its cool being able to play burned games on it but I would really like to be able to store a bunch of things on it. I run unleashx as my main dash but I also run xbmc for all of my videos and stuff. I have evox as an app as well and thought that maybe it wasn't backing up my eeprom because i was just running it as an ap and I installed it as the acutal dash but I still have had the same problrem.

If anyone else has any other ideas please toss them at me I am just getting so frustrated with this and have never had this problem before with a xbox. Normally during the hotswap mod I can get it backed up without a problem at all.

Thanks again for all your help you guys are awesome on the site!!!

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

From what I remember, when I modded my Box I could not proceed until I backed up the eeprom.

Mine was put in E\UDATA\21585554\000000000000\backup. The first thing I did is FTP and copy the entire Xbox HD on my PC. Pretty easy to do a search for *.bin.

Look in those folders.

5. drop442

drop442 Member

Ok I did this I copied everything from my xbox hd to my hd and searched for the eeprom and still did not find it I ran evox as an ap again and told it to back up and then repeated the process and still no eeprom file HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

6. drop442

drop442 Member

Ok I have now done everything except started the hotswapping process all over again. Like I said my xbox works just fine I am running unleashx as my main dash and I have evox and xbmc as apps. Everything works fine. I just need to be able to change the HD and because I cannot get the eeprom.bin I cannot do so. I have tried everything that I could research on the net other than soldering together this wierd piece of equiptment that really seems more for someone who has mae a paperweight out of thier xbox by using xbox live. I just need to know all of the ways to get the eeprom file to backup seeing as how the version of evox that I have doesn't do it. It says it does but I search the hd and there is no eeprom file anywhere on the drive. There are all kinds of boot1.bin's and stuff but no eeprom.

I am seriously desperate here so if anyone could please stop treating me like a noob and just give me a hand here. I am no idiot and I research everything constantly and if it weren't for the problem backing up during my hotswap softmod I would not even have this problem.

Thanks again for those of you who have actually listened to me and thank you even more to those who have tried to help me.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I see you're getting frustrated mate...not sure what's going on,why you cannot find the darned thing,but here's what you can try:

Download an Auto Installer Deluxe (AID, I have version 4.2, probably any will do it). Burn the image to a DVD and pop it in your box. Then go under "Backup/Restore HDD", then under "Backup Eeprom". There you can choose where you want your eeprom to be saved.(on drive E,F,G...)

Not sure what else to tell you. Here's a link for AID:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

On the AID disc you also have "Chimp". Might want to look into that for upgrading your HDD, I found it very easy using "Chimp"(you would not need to create any disc with your eeprom). It was my first HDD upgrade, never owned a box before. It is pretty intuitive:

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-260.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. breadhead

breadhead Member

Hello All,
    I am looking to upgrade my original Xbox HDD. And I have a query about this: I have a cord that pugs into my Xbox's controller port and has a USB slot on the end, so i can plug a thumb drive into it...if i went and bought a portable (external) hard drive and plug it in the cord going to Xbox would it act as another memory device? I would just have to put up with having the external hard drive next to it?? Right?
    Thankyou very much.

Sam

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The largest capacity for an USB storage device that you can use with an XBOX is 4GB.If yo buy an external HDD, plug it into your computer via USB and you'll be able to access it from your XBOX if the XBOX is connected to your PC.

10. breadhead

breadhead Member

Cheers for that.
    Another question. would you please be able to tell me how many games i could fit on the HDD that the Xbox comes with?

Sam

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Cannot help you with that. I only bought the XBOX to use it as a media center. I have installed XBMC on it to play my movies/music..., never used it to play a game. I guess it comes down to what games you have in mind, what size they are...

12. breadhead

breadhead Member

I have no idea. thanks for your help.. and what does your xbox do when its a "media center"?? sorry if its a silly question

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I have upgraded the HDD, replaced it with a 500GB. I put all my movies and music on it so I can watch/listen on my TV. That HDD got full pretty quick, so I have another 500 GB connected to my computer via USB. The XBOX is connected to my computer through my router so I can access the internet from the XBOX(Hulu, Youtube XM Radio...), and I can also access the USB HDD.

14. breadhead

breadhead Member

F**k! How much did the 500gb HDD set you back?

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You mean cost? Don't remember the first one, I think it was around $80( a couple years ago). The second one I got it about a month ago, I think about $65 @ Newegg.com

16. breadhead

breadhead Member

Thats not that much... was it hard installing it??

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Not at all. I used Chimp to clone the original HDD, which is a piece of cake to use if your XBOX version is older than 1.6, I think it took me a whoopin' 20 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  18. breadhead

breadhead Member

Sorry to ask all these questions but...do you have to have a FTP connection to soft mod your xbox

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, you FTP into your XBOX(for example to copy your Eeeprom or transfer any files) after you softmod.

20. breadhead

breadhead Member

wat if i use my cord that i can use a little thumb drive to transfer game saves and that shit