1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by coolchic, Jul 14, 2003.

1. coolchic

coolchic Member

I downloaded a movie off kazaa...which took sooo long. Unlike my other movie which played...this one didn't! All I got was a black screen. It's a TMD one and it also says 'telesynch' in the description. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

It seems to me that you dont have the codecs needed to view the movie. Try running it through gspot and hopefully the program will tell you which codecs you need. Also if you get a FourCC code of '0' then your movie is most likely fake.

3. coolchic

coolchic Member

thanks so much! even tho i'm not sure what codecs are..but I'll find a way somehow.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

A codec has two functions:

compress
    decompress

The movie you have is compressed using a codec.
    you'll need audio and video codecs to decompress audio and video streams in a movie.

The trick is to find the right decompressor for your movie. Thats why i suggested gspot. Its a program that will identify the audio and video streams of a file and determine which codec was used to compress it, as well as a suitable decompressor. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  5. mark_19

mark_19 Member

was the film bad boys 2 ?? lol

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

TMD.... if i remember correctly all you need are MPEG codecs... then again that was a long time ago when i didnt know anything about anything else lol.... for future reference, TMD isnt quite know for their video quality so when you do get the video to play, dont expect a lot ;-)

Back on subject, open the movie up with AVICodec and it will give you links to grab whatever codecs are needed!

7. drache

drache Guest

I have a similar problem. I downloaded a movie which wont play. It claims to be an AVI but Gspot doesnt recognise it and no codec i can find will play it. This is the third one and its beginning to give me the shits. Does Telecine or Telesynch in the filename mean anything?

8. drache

drache Guest

Marc19 yeah one of them was

9. nike

nike Guest

Did you find out what is needed to play a file with 'telesynch'
    If so would you share the information.
    I really would be appreciative.
    Thank you,
    Nike

10. spazz6

spazz6 Member

what you got here, with the tmd is actually a VCD format..... therefor you wioll require either a cd burner a blank cd and a dvd player that recognizes VCD format, or you will need to go download yourself a vcd player... as for telesynch.... i believ, but im not posotive that it is the method in which the film was actually captured.... ANYHOW have a nice day

11. Praetor

Precisely Telesync means a copy which was shot in an empty cinema or from the projection booth with a professional camera, directly connected to the sound source.

Telecine also means a method to make an illegal bootleg copy of an original movie. Telecine method can be done in various ways, but normally it includes process where the movie is taken directly from the reel to digital format and then encoded into VCD, SVCD or DivX format.

For more terms: http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

12. deester1

deester1 Member

ssems that there are a lot of these movies not getting backed up properley..:p..so far ive had 2 black screens 1 hour long..lame!

13. Praetor

Ouch! A suggestion? Try the donkey network :)

The eDonkey network, one of the most reliable P2P platforms available is very similar to Kazaa in its networking implementaton (i.e., files are split up and chucked around as individual pieces). The major difference with the eDonkey network is that it is infinitely more reliable than Kazaa meaning you dont nearly get as many fakes - if ever when using the eDonkey network. The three major clients are eDonkey2000, eMule and Overnet. eDonkey2000 is the 'official' closed-source client and provides all the core functionalities. eMule (http://www.emule-project.net) is an open-source interpretation of the eDonkey network and allows for 'mods', plenty more customization and adds and IRC client. Overnet (http://www.overnet.com) is the third major client: it does not have the IRC client, nor does it have 'mods' (and mods are not really needed with Overnet in either case). To counter however, users dont need to worry about servers nor LOWIDs. Any of these three clients is vastly superior to Kazaa and the likes.

14. deester1

deester1 Member

e-donkey is sooooo slow though..but i agree much more reliable

15. Praetor

Its not that slow. I can grab stuff at 85 or 170 KB/s with DSL/Cable. And i dont have any fancy settings or anything.