1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bethelson, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bethelson

bethelson Member

I am a mom who recently bought a portable hard drive to copy all the files off of a computer to put on a different computer. I paid over $100 for it!!! I didn't know enough about the thing to realize I needed to keep the password where I would find it if I ever forgot it. We were in the middle of a move and it's weeks later and my kids need the files put on this different computer. (the old one is gone forever and no way to get it back.) I bought a Western Digital portable hard drive and now I can't remember the darn password! I have tried everything to remember it. But my life was in chaos when this took place. Because of the stress I can't think of what I put in as the password. I have contacted the Western Digital Co. and they have told me the hard drive is so protected that unless I remember it it's now a useless $100 hard drive!!! I can not believe this!!! My son needs these files asap. Does anyone know how to retrieve a password when you lose it? Thanks!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't believe WD offered no help for you to get your password back, but then again I'm having difficulty thinking of how they might help you.
    How is the password stored, what sort of prompt do you get when you're asked to enter it?

3. bethelson

bethelson Member

ok, I'll answer this as if I know what I'm talking about...A box comes up and it says my name that I put in the profile box. (my real first name). Then on the same page it has another box that asks for the Password and has an empty box to place that in. I suppose if you put the right password in and pop on the ok on the page it will let you into the stupid thing. Western Digital said they made their product with 128 encrypted bit??? I think that's what the email they sent me said. Which of course I haven't a clue as to what the heck that means. I don't mind even purchasing one of those programs that says it can crack open something to get you the password. I just don't uunderstand if any of them would work on the 128 type of thing and if they work on a portable hard drive. Anyway, thaks for your response.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it basically means the password is encoced with 128-bit encryption. In other words there are 128 binary bits that make up the data that stores your password. Therefore the number of different combinations of passwords you could have is 2^128.
    If it were 1-bit, you could only have 0 or 1, 2-bit you could have 00, 01, 10 or 11, and so on and so forth. With 128 bits, you have 3.4x10^38 possibilities!

5. bethelson

bethelson Member

Sorry, but your talking way over my head. Way, way, over!!!! My husband has said that he thinks there really is nothing that will keep a passowrd hidden or unable to be retrieved. You just have to know which program to use or purchase that will do it. I'm hoping this is true. Thanks for your help.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's true, but it takes the right software, and a lot of patience. The numbers I posted mean there are basically trillions of trillions of trilions of trillions of combinations. Brute forcing takes a while!

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, sammoris is right. Trying to crack the password is time intensive. Another option is data recovery which bypasses most encryption.
    What is the exact model of drive that is passworded.

8. bethelson

bethelson Member

Whanks guys....what is data recovery and how do we do it. This is the model and numbers of it Western Digital passport sync model # is: WD800U017-005 the serial # is: WXE607D75530 We don't care how much time it takes we will work on it. What do I look for to try and crack it? Is there a certain thing to buy that will do it? Thanks, you guys have given me some hope that it is possible. God Bless You!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Data recovery is te means by which you can get data back off a hard drive that's no longer functioning, usually because it's broken. However, in this case it may work simply because you can't get the data back. My hunch is that since Data recovery software is used to get files off a hard drive that's circuits could be broken, it needs to be able to bypass security incase the drive refuses access (even if there's no password or the password is right), so consequently, it may be able to barge through. I'm not entirely sure which program to recommend, however. I'll have a look around.

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, the model number is for a wd passport external usb. WD says the only way to clear the password is to delete the data and set a new one. Well thats out of the question so why dont you try this first.

Get into a quiet room with no distractions.
    Do whatever you have to do to get relaxed.
    Think back to the day you got the drive.
    Think of what was on your mind at the time.
    Try the passwords one by one.....Dont get frustrated.

If you have kids try.....names, bitrthdays, dates, places
    If you have a pet try thier name.
    Try other things that are dear to you.

Try this for about 2- 3 hours but not to the point of frustration.
    I have had pretty good success with this.

If in the end you cant remember, post back.........Good Luck

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

12. bethelson

bethelson Member

Do you mean for me to take a ruler and measure it? Is that what yor asking me?? Yes, my husband is a tool expert, does his own auto repairs and has installed 2 miles worth of underground plumbing systems, and he builds computers in his spare time. He is a physician. So yes, he can handle anything tool wise pretty darn good. And the suggestion to sit and think about it for several hours in a quiet place. Did that, bought the shirt and still can't come up with it. I did all the usual stuff I use, but I was doing all this computer stuff from 11p.m. till 5:30 a.m. so was quite a space cadet in the process. And now I'm paying the consequences for it. Warranty?? Haven't a clue. I will have to ask the person who bought it for me that and she's away at the Auburn game today. So when I find out I'll let you know. Thanks again guys!

13. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, its a 2.5 notebook size in an enclosure ddp...

Your best bet is to take it to a data recovery service that is not expensive. Many small shops offer software recovery at a decent price. This should run you about 100us or cheaper.

14. bethelson

bethelson Member

I don't understand the enclosure ddp thingee you said. I'm sure my husband will though. He has just opened a new office and doesn't have time or energy to fool with this. I'm expected to figure it out is what needs to happen. He suggested buying a cracking program to retreive it but I haven't a clue how to get one that will work. And I don't want to spend more money and get the wrong one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member