1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some serious help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tattoojay, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

alright, I formatted my used hard drive in preparation to upgrade to Windows XP Pro....well now when I go to install XP Pro it says there is no OS found on my Hard Drive and that I need to insert my previous windows edition disk....the only previous edition disk I have is the one that came with the pc (the reboot disk) and when I try to boot using it, it brings up what is basically a DOS screen and this:

a:\

now I can switch to c:\ but not to the cd-rom drive to run the disk....any ideas how to get my computer functional again?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in your bios to see what the boot sequence is & change the 1st boot drive to cd than save it than reboot with the xp cd in the drive. post results

3. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

Can you access BIOS without an OS and if so...how do you think I would do it? CTRL + something i think

4. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

also, I can run the Windows XP disk...not sure if that applies to your answer but it runs fine...just says I don't have an OS and that that disk as an upgrade version and thus requires a previous version of Windows to initiate.

5. ddp

the bios is the permament memory of the computer that tells the cpu what to do till the os is loaded. if a clone computer, it will show on the screen when turned on to press "del" to go into setup. check your motherboard/ computer manual for the right proceedure. as your cd is an upgrade than it changes things, you need to get windows 98 or me on, just installed without installing the drivers & whatnot before you can use the upgrade disk. that is why it is called an upgrade disk & probably for xp home edition

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  6. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

Heh! I'll try to get it to run bios....lemme' see. I will have to disconnect this computer to do it though so one second and I'll be back with results.

7. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

it's XP Pro Edition. And that's the problem, all I have is the restore disk and now that the memory has been wiped...I can't restore what isn't there basically.

8. ddp

"that the disk as an upgrade version and thus requires a previous version of Windows to initiate" your quote so you still need win98 or me on before you can use xp disk

9. ddp

what windows is on the computer you are using now to post here

10. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

and that is where my problem is:

all I have is a restore version of Windows ME off of the Compaq Factory disk....so I need to find some way of correcting that.

11. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

this one has Windows XP....I believe Pro but I am not sure.

12. ddp

check the cd(s) to see if there is a folder marked me & if so might be able to use that to get windows on than xp but don't boot with the cd but use the floppy boot disk with cdrom support

13. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

I don't have a floppy boot disk....would it still boot from floppy without a floppy disk?

14. ddp

when you boot off "the reboot disk" does it give you the option for cdrom support or no?? goto to this site to make a boot disk http://www.bootdisk.com/

15. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

Okay! I made an ME boot disk and that is good to go. but when I tried to boot from BIOS using that disk...it just took me back to the dos prompt screen with a:\ on the screen. I tried run.exe and boot.exe from there but not sure what to do...otherwise this should work...any help?

16. tattoojay

tattoojay Guest

Anyone know?

17. ddp

until you get a working copy of windows 98 or me you are still dead in the water being that your xp version is an upgrade & not a full blown windows, so see if can borrow a copy to load onto your computer than use your upgrade disk