1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need to format my computer, but it wont let me

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by schoeman, Aug 29, 2004.

1. schoeman

schoeman Guest

I have got a packard bell, i used to have windows xp on it but now i have got win 2000. my computer logs on alright but then nothing works after that. No programs or anything will open. I think i need to reboot my computer but it wont let me do so. Can anyone help

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hi schoeman,

Aaaah ha ha ha ha ha

Do'h

Can you see the desktop screen and all the icons ok?

To reboot just turn it off and back on again. Or do you mean you want to re-install Windows? Which is what you may have to do. I had this problem once, all the icons were on the screen and all the programs were still on the hard drive but somewhere along the line I must have deleted the link between them by mistake.
    I called in the local expert (my mate) and he couldn't understand it either.

N.... I'm sure someone will have a technical answer just hang in there. I'll keep looking myself.

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

A little more info would help...

CJC

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If your computer can boot from the floppy drive, find a copy of a win 98 or ME Emergency startup disc. Boot from that floppy and then do the reformat if that is what you are trying to do. To load XP you need to change the boot order in the bios so that it boots from the cd drive. Xp will then load on startup.

Jerry

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

I don't understand what you are saying. Did you try to install 2000 over xp? If thats the case then yes you should format your drive before installing. Are you trying to run 2000 and xp on your machine? If so you will have to partition and run them on different partitions. You can format from DOS by going into the bios and having the boot order disabled for all drives. Then when it gets through detecting hardware and you come to a black screen type fdisk then hit enter and follow instructions.

6. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Hi

Let me try to help if I may. May I apologise in advance for asuming you know nothing, it just means that I don't miss anything out.

Packard Bell - associated / owned by NEC (I believe) main PC type sold by PC World/Curries/Dixons (same company) (UK)

The problem is the PC is built with an integrated Motherboard and if it was sold to you with XP (Home) then the chances are that some of the Windows 2000 drivers don't exist.

You say you want to format in Win 2K and it won't let you. The first question has to be how and why. Do you have a partitioned hard drive or two hard drives. You cannot format the C Drive from a booted OS because it is using the C Drive.

There are Four file systems used on a PC

- Fat 12 = Floppies
    - Fat 16 = Win 95 or 98
    - Fat 32 = Win 98 / Me / Win 2K / Win XP
    - NTFS = Win NT / Win 2K / Win XP

The reason for telling you that is because the best to set up your hard drive in my opinion is to boot using a floppy Win 98 Start Up Disk then typing:
    A:\fdisk

Fdisk is a utility in DOS that allows you to create partitions and format drives. As this is a DOS utility then it does not recognise NTFS (NT File System) only FAT (File Allocation Table) so if you are using NTFS then the best tool is probably Partition Magic.

So you need to establish are you using FAT 32 (32 represents bits) or NTFS.

If you are using NTFS and you have the Windows 2K or XP CD, you can boot from the MS Disk and it give you an option to Delete a Partion - it recognises NTFS. There is another utility called NTFS for Dos but unless you are an experienced IT guy, then I suggest you steer clear.

The MS Disk will then allow you to Create a Partition and then format and load the OS all in one go.

As for freezing programs - have you tried going in to "Safe Mode" - on boot, after the bios has started but before windows starts - push F8 - a few times tens to work best and you will go in to the start up otions.

I have found that freezing is generally down to the video card not being recognised - here we are back to the problem of a Packard Bell and no Win2K driver.

Anyway - enough techie stuff for the time being - I hope this is of some help.

Let me know how you get on.

Phil