1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need TV viewing software.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by SbstnShaw, Jan 21, 2005.

1. SbstnShaw

SbstnShaw Guest

I use an ATI tv wonder pro PCI card to watch tv. I use the Multimedia Center software that came with it, but its pretty lousy. I'm not entirely sure why. The picture is bad, sometimes it freezes up. Its just all around bad. There may be a conflict with my NVidia GeFOrce MX AGP. I don't know. I would like to find some other third party TV viewing software that is compatible with my system. I hope there is some good free-ware out there to be found.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you check both ati & nvidia for updated software

3. SbstnShaw

SbstnShaw Guest

Yes, in fact both sources are giving me trouble. Nvidia'a driver works for the display, but somehow, I cant use it for games, even though I downloaded the latest DirectX. ATI's MultiMediaCenter will not work without an ATI as the primary graphics adapter.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

My ATI TVWonder works fine with my GeForce FX and the new MultiMediaCentre 9.
    Your GeForce is messed-up (drivers or whatever) because, somehow you can't use it for games.
    Any vid card with video-in can watch TV - you just need a VCR to tune the stations and decode the MTS audio. Something like NeroVision Express can then display the signal from your video-in, but there is no freeware replacement for your ATI, which runs both the channel-changing and the audio.
    Sort it out, get it working - it will work.
    Then you can play games too (bonus).
    L8R

5. SbstnShaw

SbstnShaw Guest

thanks. I installed the MMC version 8.2 that came with the card and it works fine with updated drivers. I really wish I knew what the heck is wrong with my video card. I have the latest DirectX drivers and the lastest nVidia drivers. What else do I need.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what nvidia card do you have & what driver version you running

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

My Asus FX-5200VS sucks as a gamer, but it is the VS model and has VIVO, and will play Doom3 okay.
    I have dealt with some occasional issues with nVidia drivers, and to sort it out you need to first uninstall all nVidia drivers through Windows, then reboot.
    Windows will try to reinstall them again, but the trick is to get your Windows running with 'Standard VGA Adapter' listed (in beautiful 16-colour 640x480).
    Now would be a good time to maybe run RegClean or Norton Doctor or whatever glitch-cleaning tool you believe in, now that nVidia is out and VGA is in. Reboot.
    Make sure your rig is setup properly in BIOS, there are a lot of AGP options in there, aperture size etc. Disable any video BIOS caching and/or shadowing. Reboot.
    Next make sure your Chipset drivers are in good shape, whether VIA, INTEL, SiS or whatever - you want the latest chipset AGP support for your mobo. Reboot.
    Get the latest nVidia WHQL package, I'm using the 66.93, then disconnect from the Internet and make sure any & all Anti-Virus protection is DISABLED when you install these drivers (very important according to nVidia).
    Dunno buddy, hope this helps...
    Let us know.

8. SbstnShaw

SbstnShaw Guest

well, I did as you said and it seemed to work. Before, the card was not even recognized as having a 3d accelerator. Now is seems to be a resolved issue. However, I still can not play games. The video is all choppy and diagonal and flashy and all of that. What now?

9. SbstnShaw

SbstnShaw Guest

I think I figured it out. My Nvidia card only supports DirectX 7. All the games I've tried have been newer games. But I put in an oldie, Aliens vs. Predator and it worked. whoopie. Anyway. The ATI MMC still doesn't work for me. The version that came with the card, 8.2 that is worked well for a week or so, then that death message came up. Encountered an error and has to close. Unless you just ignore it and put the message in the background. And the newest version just goes blank and freezed the entire computer if you open it. So getting back to my initial post, is there any tv tuner freeware that someone knows of?