1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O Error Semaphore Timeout

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Luxt, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Luxt

Luxt Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the burner DVD's and I ran into a problem basically before I started. I am attemtping to use the Decrypter but when it tries to read the disc an I/O Error pops up with the reason being Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired. I also get Disc Authentication Failed popping up when I close the previous error, the reason it gives is Failed To Get Key Disc. Thanks for any advise on this.

2. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Do you have an updated aspi layer installed ?

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you using an external burner?

4. Luxt

Luxt Member

Thanks for any help you may have for me. To anwser the first question I have downloaded the recomended aspi layers but when I go to the I/O interface and attempt to switch this to a newly downloaded version from the SPTI-Microsoft it states I need to download ASPI Manager. The second question, I do have a external burner. Thanks again for any help, I am lost when it comes to troubleshooting.

5. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

I wait on Nephilim, very smart guy.

6. Nephilim

Don't take off strone, we're in this one together!

@Luxt

Are you connecting the burner to a USB 2.0 port? A semaphore timeout means there's a lack of communication between your burner and system so connecting to a much slower USB 1.1 port can cause these errors.

Here's a link to help you check:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000602.htm

The main thing to look for is a USB controller that's listed as "enhanced" :)

7. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Well I don't no much about external burners but, I use force ASPI and never get any errors. You can download force ASPI at www.clonecd.net/aspi.htm Force ASPI will also backup your current ASPI configuration. So, if you encounter problems you can easily restore your original ASPI drivers. The command *dumpaspi* creates a backup of your existing ASPI layer. Make sure you reboot your computer after installation. strone

8. Luxt

Luxt Member

Thanks again for responses. I downloaded Force ASPI and had the same problems. I checked into my USB Controllers and the only item listed as enhanced is the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller. The back of my computer has a sticker that reads Hi-Speed Certified USB next to the ports. Thanks again for the help and any more suggestions.

9. Nephilim

Alright so we have USB 2.0 support so the next thing we want to do is look for updated USB drivers. I take it your PC is a factory model of some sort? If this is the case then the best place to look would be your PC makers website. While you're there you may want to check on newer chipset drivers because we may need those :)

10. Luxt

Luxt Member

Hello again Nephilim. I checked for updated USB and chipset drivers. The only updates they had were for a Smartlink Modem Driver, nVidia MCP2 Driver Set, and IOI 8-in-2 Media Reader Driver. I figured I would just download them to see if they had any effect on the process and still the same results. Another note to add, when I hit the retry tab after the timeout I get another I/O Error and the bottom line reads Copy Exchange Key Failure - Key Not Established. Thanks again for the advice and dealing with my issues, this site is extremely helpful to someone like me.

11. Nephilim

I'm not too familiar with this one. I know that in order for a protected DVD to play there is an exchange of encrypted keys between the drive and system. Do you have any software DVD players installed such as PowerDVD or WinDVD?

12. Luxt

Luxt Member

Hello again, I do have PowerDVD. Thanks again for any more advice.

13. Nephilim

Let's try reinstalling both DVD Decrypter and PowerDVD and see if that gets us anywhere.

14. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

I'm sorry I responded to this one. I helped about as much as a flea on a dogs azz.

15. Luxt

Luxt Member

I uninstalled the Decrypter, Shrink and PowerDVD. I then reinstalled DVD Decrypter and Shrink. I still get the same problem with DVD Decrypter, if this is any help it also states Interpretation: Read(10)- Sector:264. When I try to use Shrink it states it failed to read the file and the request could not be perfomed because of an I/O device error. Thanks again for any more advice. Sorry if this is becoming a hassle.

16. Nephilim

You're selling yourself short strone ;)

@Luxt

No hassle at all :)

Do all these errors occur with the same factory movie or with any and all you try?

17. Luxt

Luxt Member

This happens with any movie I try. I tried it with a burned movie a friend let me borrow and the same results happen in the beginning but it is able to give all to information such as capacity, region, copy protection system type(it states none--could have something to do with this). I have the latest version of Windows Media Player, could this cause any problems?

18. Nephilim

I doubt WMP would have anything to do with it. Have you tried hooking the drive up to a different PC to see what happens?

19. regor

regor Regular member

Jumping in... I've read through the threads but I see nothing that states one-way-or-the-other that you can play a DVD; can you?

If you can't play a DVD why bother with anything else. Get a DVD and play it. If it plays, using PowerDVD or WMP we can go from there.

Speculation at best otherwise.

Humbly, R

20. Luxt

Luxt Member

I tried to play a DVD thru WMP and this popped up--The Request Could Not Be Performed Becuase Of An I/O Device Error. Sorry I never tried to even play a DVD, I just assumed it worked since I have a DVD Rom and some software(all that came with the PC). Thanks for ppointing this out, I never watched a DVD on my PC so I just assumed. Maybe this will make things easir. Sorry Nephilim for the headaches.