1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I pulled this off

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by hero8675, Dec 15, 2009.

1. hero8675

hero8675 Member

almost done with the questions.

There is a ATX 12v input on my mobo. The only connection from my psu that would fit it is two pieces. But that must be the correct connection correct?

If I put my old school ide HD in my new computer from my old computer do I need to worry about jumper settings, slave master etc?

hopefully I will be able to load windows 7 tonight.

2. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

See page 22 of your motherboard manual. The pair of 2x2 12V power supply plugs connect side-by-side into the 2x4 12V power connector on your motherboard.

Your IDE drive should be set to Master. See http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml for more information on IDE settings.

It sounds like you're getting close. You may need to re-partition and format the HDD, but the Windows 7 install process should lead you through those steps.

Dick

3. hero8675

hero8675 Member

thanks,

I should be ok plugging in my computer and making sure the fans spin and the lights light up etc.

4. hero8675

hero8675 Member

5. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Yup. Ain't they purty?

Dick

6. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I am close to pulling this off. I installed windows 7 and everything seems to be ok.

Here are my problems.

1. No sound. The sound this is confusing, I had HD audio on the case, and the mobo has left right and middle and an other speaker out. I will recheck them and see if any of the connections work.

2. Web pages flicker like crazy when I scroll down. What is the fix for this?

3. I was unclear in my last post. My blue lights do not blink when the HD is working I believe they are supposed to. I will try to recerse the polarity on the led pin.

7. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

The LED connected between pins 1 and 3 of your F_PANEL header should flicker with disk activity.

The LED connected between pins 2 and 4 of your F_PANEL header should be ON when the power is on and should blink when the system is in Sleep mode.

Your AC'97 plug should plug into your F_AUDIO header. Check Chapter 5 of your motherboard manual for information on configuring your audio.

I am not familiar with your video problem and will leave that to others to comment on.

Dick

8. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I used the HDA audio connection and not the ac97 one. I will try and switch it.

windows updated and the flicker problem has resolved it seeof I think.

K7VC do you have the same case I do? Are the fan leds supposed to blink or just the very small one near the power botton?

9. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

For which audio port to use, refer to the manual. It should be the middle green plug if you just have a 2 speaker set up.

The flickering was likley a video card lacking a proper driver.

10. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I am jumping ahead a little bit because I dont have all my issues fixed yet, but;

When I see screen shots of peoples computer they know what tempture their processer is at. How is that done?

I ended up going with the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz. When I want to overclock, how is that done?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No sound and flickering web pages. Have you installed any drivers? A sound driver and graphics driver are typically required to display smooth graphics and to produce sound. While windows 7 includes standardised drivers for these, they don't work for every system configuration.

12. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I loaded the disc that came with the mobo and the gpu and i believe it directed my to a web site to update the drivers.

the flickering resolved it self after I updated windows.

I had the speakers pluged in to the wrong input, and I found one that worked but the speaker volume in very low? my plan is to unhook the HDA connection and use the ac97 connection.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As a rule I always use the back panel connectors and never hook up the front panel audio connector, I don't see the point since you don't get surround sound from front panels anyway.

14. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

But for headphone users it can be handy.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

True, I'm not saying it's a useless feature, but generally you get better headphone sound if you plug your headphones into the headphone socket on your speakers, rather than directly into your sound card. That and the FP_AUDIO wire makes a real mess of an otherwise tidy case :p

16. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I still cant get my sound right. I can hear the sound but it is at a level 3 out of 10. I have everything maxed out. I have tried the HDA hook up and the AC97 hook up. I tried to update the driver through the realtek high definition audio properties page and it said I was up to date. I hooked the speakers up to another computer and they were loud, so it is not the speakers.

any suggestions to fix this

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You've not got one of the volume sliders turned down in the software have you? If you're using Windows Vista/7, remember there is a separate volume slider for each program.

18. hero8675

hero8675 Member

I see the 3 sliders for devise/speakers, applications/system sounds and internet explorer and they are all maxed out.

Is that what you are talking about?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well what about the application you're playing sound with?

20. hero8675

hero8675 Member

yes I tried it with the windows sounds and media player. media player volume was all the way up.